Too many section cuts

Hi -
I’m trying to set up first drawings for a hotel project in an old building, where every room is different.
I’ll have a SU model for each of the three floors. But each floor has about 15 bedrooms, and I’ll need to make an A1 drawing in Layout for each room - floor, ceiling, and four internal elevations.
How am i going to set up all those Section Planes in my main model?!?!?
Is there a short cut/ trick for how to arrange them, or a plug-in maybe?
There will be hallways and wc’s and store rooms too, so I can’t see how I’m going to end up with less than about 30 section planes…???
Help!!!

From what you said Paul, I can’t see how a plugin will “know” where you want those section cuts.

I’m not looking for the section cuts to place themselves. I’m happy to place them all, but is there a sensible way to organise them? Each one of the rooms will need to use part of 4 different section cuts, and there are 15 bedrooms, toilets, cupboards, hallways, all need elevations, lighting plans, flooring layouts… it just feels like it is going to immensely complicated to set up

is there maybe a plug in that places a point somewhere in a model, and then gives elevations looking outward from that point?? (optimistic, I know!)

I have had 30 or more for a complex timber frame, so it is manageable.

Each floor will have 2 - 1 for plan, 1 for ceiling. So you don’t need these for everyone room, but you will need to adjust the scene / view in LayOut to show only the room you wish keyed to its interior elevations.

I manage mine with Tags… in your case perhaps a tag for each room and then you can toggle the section cut visibility on and use Tags and tag folders to manage the rooms / floors / etc.

You will need to be careful and strict in setting up scenes and views. Be sure to have all your layers built before you start making scenes.

1 Like

IIRC there was a thread here with some code - but you could make a group of 4 section planes with a crosshair as reference (on a layer that will be turned off) and then copy these around to each room. Once they are copied you can then edit the group and rename them so you can logically follow which is in which room.

You’ll then need to carefully set up your views / etc.

But, also, depending on how the model is built you might be able to isolate rooms as groups / components and hide everything else, or use a clever tagging scheme to make each room have its own visibility control.

Each floor will have 2 - 1 for plan, 1 for ceiling. But it will also need 4 vertical sections, one for each of the walls of the bedroom, plus another four, one for each of the walls of the ensuite (I’d forgotten to count in the ensuites in my original post!). I need to do wall panelling layouts, coordinated positions of switches and sockets, ensuite tiling and sanitaryware, all in elevation, and slightly different for every room

Yes, 2 for each floor but you don’t need them for every room, so it cuts down on needing 6 or more per room.

If your model is cleverly built you could have each room as a component and then save out to its own drawing where you can develop each set of drawings.

Either way it is a lot of work.

You might have something with your first paragraph. I’ll try that.
I can’t see the hide option working for me, as I’ll want to tag sanitaryware as sanitaryware, not as sanitaryware room 14. ! otherwise the sections become manageable but there are a million tags!

Can you clarify your second paragraph please? If i save the floor, ceiling, and wall surfaces of a room as a component, i can “save them out to its own drawing”? do you mean to a separate SU file?

Yes. A component is just a SketchUp file. If you right click on any component you should get a ‘Save As…’ option. You can also reload, swap, etc.

How easy this is depends largely on how the model is built. You’d want everything for the interior of each room to be included in the component… so how you build the walls / floors will be important.

I often have components with framing details and joinery within my main model that I save out and can edit separately as needed. Then should I need I reference them back into my model.

Yes, sure. It can be come cumbersome.

You will likely want a series of tags to control the visibility of the section cut planes though, otherwise it will be impossible to isolate and activate specific cuts.

I’ve found an extension called Condoc Tools by Brightman Designs that appears to do what I want for this project, so I think I’ll give it a go…

Since I last looked into Condoc my understanding was that the multi-tag feature relied on using attributes in SketchUp and some clever code.

And that this would not work with tag overriding in Layout.

Mike Brightman might have implemented something even more clever by integrating his system with Layout’s tag overriding – I don’t know.

I think that you need to let Condoc take over your SketchUp to Layout workflow – which is not necessarily a bad thing – Condoc is impressive.

ConDoc is an impressive toolset. Mike gave me a personal demo a couple of years ago and I tried to work with it within my workflow. In the end it didn’t work for me - but it is an extensive toolset. Be careful not get trapped in the weeds trying to get your work done.

Thanks for the advice. I’m going to download it and yes, it does look like there is potentially lots to get tangled up in. Initially I need to try and use it only for what i need - creating plans and elevations of each room. If it can do that great. and I may look at other stuff, (while wearing my waders!). If it can’t do what I want I wont keep it. Too many extensions already!

1 Like