Creating Faces with lines on more than 2 planes

I’m creating a shape but I want there to be faces on it. Is there any way I can do this? Or any plugins. If anyone has done it before id appreciates the help. I just want to have faces on the lines that I can eventually turn into windows. thanks

Manually you can draw a diagonal between each to create the faces.

As Box indicates, you need to draw diagonal in. Since the edges of your are not planar, faces won’t be formed without triangulating. You can hide or soften those edges if you don’t want to see them. Might be worth considering that if this was to be built in reality, you would need either triangular windows or bent glass to make it work.

You can very quickly skin the bounding set of edges with curviloft and some similar extensions.

Screen Shot 2021-01-20 at 7.01.45

Other extensions can subdivide the result (or you can divide the edges manually before skinning). I just use clothworks.

Screen Shot 2021-01-20 at 7.02.11

This is still all coplaner triangles, though, so it’s not adding anything to the previous answers. Hard to guess what you really envision as far as putting windows into that shape.

I suspect that you want the space between each pair of edges to be flat, as if panes of glass? If so, that isn’t possible in life any more than in SketchUp because the corners of the spaces in your image aren’t co-planar. You will have to change the shapes of the top and bottom of the opening to get the corners into plane, and that might be quite different from what you want - a lot of zig-zagging along each shape.

It usually helps to understand how the geometry works before adding extension usage.

2 Likes

Click in sequence on the scenes tabs of this SU file to see different options on how to do a good approximation with native tools.

Box with curved face.skp (107.6 KB)