Creating Curved tunnels

I want to make a set of curved tunnels that can be added to straight tunnels for use as custom scenery imported into a game. I have no problem with the straight section, but I need to make ones that curve 45 degrees left, 45 degrees right, 90 degrees left, and 90 degrees right respectively. How would I go about doing that?

The image of my straight tunnel is below.

Draw the curve flat on the ground and then use the follow-me tool to extrude your tunnel cross-section along it.

As @slbaumgartner described, here’s a picture.

You really owe it to yourself to put yourself through enough training to learn what the various tools are and a bit more about how the interface works.

-Gully

It is worth noting that for Follow Me to do what you want it to do, the first segment of the path must be perpendicular to the profile and the extrusion will terminate perpendicular to the last segment in the path. If you use an arc drawn with the Arc tool, you’ll probably get something you don’t want as in the tunnel on the left. Note the ends are not 90 degrees to each other. The ends of the tunnel on the right are at 90 degrees because the first and last segments in the curve are perpendicular to each other.

As Gully wrote, it would be a good idea to spend some time learning the basic tools. There are tutorial videos on the SketchUp.com site. They’d be a good place to start.

OK, So I only use a single curved line! I was making a curved area to
follow. Maybe that is where I was going wrong. Thanks, I’ll try that.

Just to be clear: if you create a face, select it, and then apply follow-me to a profile, the tool will extrude that profile all the way around the face. Sometimes that is what you want. But in your specific situation you just want to follow a single curve, so drawing a whole face takes extra work with no advantage.

Appreciate the help, I tried it and the results look good enough. Thank you
very much!

Just a little tip,
Do your follow me on a circle, turn on hidden geometry and select the relevant sections and make them components. Simple, quick and you know the parts will fit together.

By the way you only need two components as left and right are a rotation away, or three if you want to throw in a 22.5.

3 Likes