Creating a difficult shape

As shown in the picture, the faucet and handle as well as the soap dispenser look like they would be good candidates for the follow me tool except that they change dimension and shape along a path.I could probably do it by drawing many cross sections and then connecting them together but I feel there must be a better way.

A quick pass using follow me on parts. The chrome faucet pipe (obvious) and on the red nozzle and red main body. The small extension from the body is just an edited copy of the body itself.

CD

Similar to what @ChrisDizon has shown, it’s three Follow Me extrusions end-to-end, two lathed and one along a path:

-Gully

Added: Sort of reminds me of a Klein Bottle I did as a tyro:

1 Like

You certainly didn’t make this seem like a difficult part at all. The part I am having more difficulty with is the handle at the base which I changes shape.

This is a bit easier for me to grasp. For the handle I guess II will just have to break into more follow me extrusions. Thank you both

So now you’re down to a half-dozen or so hand-drawn sections to make the tapering, reverse curve handle with the rest pretty easy as shown.

-Gully

Thank you. If I am proud of my success I will send it to you so you see that you helped yet another person.

For the tapered, ess-curved handle, this may give you something to consider:

Spout tutorial

-Gully

Your timing was excellent. I have been working on the handle all day and learned a lot of useful things but none that helped me model the handle. The tutorial you recommended has given me a new approach so now I can start fresh in the morning. Thank you

The best way to draw this shape is quite simple.
Use the follow me tool with a circle as the path.
First draw a circle
Draw a perpendicular plane from the circle’s face
Draw a profile of the shape you want, then delete everything you don’t need, but keep the profile
Select the circle, choose the follow me tool, then click on the profile
Follow Me will extrude the profile in a circular manner.

See the illustration attached

But don’t forget to correct the face orientation…

Thank you for your suggestion. My problem is in the tube that extends from the top of the base. The problem is that as the tube extends it also changes diameter. I am currently trying a suggestion that has me creating the tube at its minimum diameter and then using the scale tool to change the appropriate generated circles to modify the final shape.

Maybe you should upload an image that shows this asymmetry…

Another way I tried was to use Fredo 6’s Curviloft app. It worked quite well, but actually took quite a bit longer to lay out the wireframe required. See the figure attached. You can get Fredo 6’s tools at SketchUcation.com
The first figure, on the left is the same profile from before, but mirrored and joined with the original profile.
I created circles at critical points along the shape to build the wire frame.
The second figure is with the curviloft (lofting) partially completed.
The third figure is the completed object. It did take a lot of messing around with the fact that it didn’t work too well when too much of the wire frame was selected at once, so it had to be done in several sections, exploded (each lofted shape is completed as a group), smoothed, and edges hidden.
The one on the end was created with the wire frame, but I used “From Contours”. Marginally successful.

As to your last comment…the profile can be drawn with a hollow interior as well. Just draw and cut away the part not needed. Just draw the thickness of the outside wall, if you will. The interior shape was offset from the exterior, but could be of any shape what so ever.

If you have a tube that goes all the way through the shape, just make the tube as a separate piece and put it in place inside the shape. Make both shapes groups or components so they’re easy to move around without destroying the geometry inadvertently.

I uploaded a picture of the sink spout that I am trying to model at the head of this topic.The parts I am having difficulty with are the stainless parts which change diameter while making a turn. There are three of these in the picture. The first is the stainless section that extends from the red base and arcs around to the red end. The second is the faucet handle which changes both shape in the cross section as well as following a curved path. The third is the spout on the soap dispenser which also changes both shape in the cross section as well as following a curved path. I am currently working on the part between the red spout base and the red end. I felt that this would be the easiest and that I could use what I learned on that to do the others. So far, I have learned that this is not an easy thing to do in SketchUp. Since, I am modeling this sink to make me more proficient in SketchUp, I feel that I picked the right task for this.