Create layout

This is a fundamental thing in LayOut. The toolbar at the top of the LayOut window has an Add Page button. Simply click on it to create additional pages.
Screenshot - 8_2_2021 , 10_10_30 AM

You can also add pages in the Pages inspector window.
Screenshot - 8_2_2021 , 10_12_21 AM

You can shift through the pages with the arrow buttons to the right of the Add Page button on the toolbar or you can select the desired page in the Pages window.

After you’ve added new pages you can copy one viewport to another page. You can also have more than one viewport on a page if that is appropriate. I showed that in my long reply from a couple of days ago.

The viewport on the page that your file opened to shows that the Camera properties have been modified. The dark background and the Reset button in that section indicate that. As I’ve told you,modifications to scene properties in LayOut override the settings in SketchUp so changing the settings in SketchUp won’t have any bearing on the LayOut file. CLicking on Reset, which I did before making the following screen shot will go back to using the latest Camera properties from the SketchUp scene. In this case, however, it has resulted in the dimensions being kind of balled up. It illustrates why I advise users to avoid doing anything in LayOut that results in modified Camera properties for viewports.

Select the dimensions and change the font and size in the Font window. Look in the Window menu for that.

You can and should create your own template for your LayOut projects. Open a new LayOut file. Go to File>Document Setup>Paper and choose the desired paper size. Select the Dimension tool and make the settings you want for the units, as well as dimension line style which is set in Shape Style, and font/text size. Also do the same for labels and text boxes. Add layers for the various things like viewports and dimensions and other text. When you have things all set up the way you want make your Viewport layer active and then use File>Save as template to save it. When you start a new file in the future, select that template.

It would probably be a good idea to go through the SketchUp file and set up the style for all of the scenes in your model file. If you go back to the LayOut file I shared two days ago and open the .skp file used in that file, you will see that I reduced the styles down to two. One for the perspective view and another for the rest of the views. I think it’s generally best to keep the styles to a minimum for a document of this sort.

1 Like

also change raster to hybrid and it will make drawings look better. this is in the SketchUp Model tab as shown in the video.

1 Like

Maybe Hybrid. Or maybe Vector makes more sense depending on the situation. That part was out of the scope of the original question so I didn’t address it.

1 Like

It was a just a general comment since he was learning and in that tab already

1 Like

Understood. You addressed it to me so I responded.

1 Like

If you have a drawing with a lot of faces, Vector can bog a drawings down so I have found that hybrid is a goof happy medium.

1 Like

It is better to dimension in layout because layout is designed for paper space and SU is designed for model space. These are terms we use in CAD standards which help you to understand proper work flow. SU is limited (for paper space) purposely for this reason.

1 Like

What do you mean? Vector? Is that a plugin?

… Oh, I understand, it is a setting.

I’ve been doing my homework a little bit, here are the updates.

What I still don’t grasp: is it possible to create a new page, create a new viewport and add in a scene or any other image, like a JPG or so, or a view of a model from another SU file (model). Now I duplicate a page, and change to another scene.
When I make changes in my model, and update the Lo file, the measurements are marked in red. Not always are they wrong then, instead of deleting and adding dimension again, there must be a easier way, I guess?

SKP_SM_tuinhuis-LAST.skp (1.4 MB)

LO_SM_tuinhuis-LAST - A4.layout (4.9 MB)

Hybrid ought to be even slower than Vector as it overlays both Raster and Vector renders.

2 Likes

indeed.

Please go back to the beginning of my long post from three days ago where I showed you the buttons to ADD a page and gave you instructions for how to copy a viewport to put on that page.

If you want to insert images or other SketchUp models or spreadsheets or text files, you can do so by using File>Insert.

If the changes remove the persistent IDs that LayOut is using to identify the points in the model for dimensions, that will disconnect tthe dimensions. Select the ones that need to be reconnected, right click on one of them and choose Reconnect. If they don’t reconnect, you can reconnect them by editing them.
rec

@Anssi is correct about the Vector/Hybrid thing. The only difference between them is that Hybrid will display raster textures as well as Vector edges. Vector rendering does not render raster textures.

1 Like

Yet another observation about rendering modes.
If you need to export your LayOut pages to DWG or DXF for CAD use, Vector is the only usable rendering mode. Recipients of the files are not usually happy with embedded or linked raster images.

2 Likes

speaking about recipients… I wonder if it is possible to export components to “step” files. A colleague of mine, who is much more familiar with CAD work and CNC machining said that this the most suitable format if you want to have pieces with, let’s say grooves and holes etc. Is there a plugin for that?

I will, must have overlooked it.

that I grasped.