Create a floor plan only in 2d or Layout

It is indeed to scale. the red line was drawn in LayOut to match the length of the 40’ wall. For the scale you selected, 1/4":1’, it measures out correctly. And the red line along bottom is the length of the 72’ dimension.

You need to move the viewport on the page and adjust its size by dragging the viewport edges.

Whiteley existing plan to scale layout.layout (123.2 KB)

A couple of other points: You did not set the camera in SketchUp to Parallel Projection for the scene. You should do that. In LayOut, you chose the Top view for the Last saved SketchUp view instead of choosing the scene. And it shows as modified. If you have some reason to go back to the SketchUp model and make changes, upon updating the reference in LO, the model will move relative to the viewport. Make sure you set up the scenes as you want them in SketchUp and then select the appropriate scene for the viewport from the Scenes list. Don’t do anything to make it show as modified or you create more problems for yourself.

Here’s a fixed version. The scene is updated with the camera set to Parallel Projection, the reference updated in LO, and the scene selected for the viewport.
Whiteley existing plan Fixed dr.layout (209.7 KB)

Ok thank you I got one with dimensions from Layout. I like the way dimensioning looks from layout. It took a minute to figure out why the dimensions were in decimals instead of fractions after all that setup. Three different places to set stuff up. I appreciate the help.

1 Like

I sent you a PM.

As a former Dave Richards project I have been creating my architectural drawings for years in SU and LO.

The trick is picking your scale in LO as SU by default is 1:1. Most architectural floor plans are 1/4" = 1’0, so start there and move the viewport to suit.
If your plan is of a large building you may use 1/8" = 1’0 or only show part of the plan on a page…no big deal. Just remember to keep the scale for your dimensions the same as your floor plan. I have sometimes had them change on me for reasons that I have yet to fathom.

It doesn’t really matter how you get to your floor plan in SU, but it is very important to take a Parallel projection view/Top view of it and export that to LO. After that the dimensions and styling falls into place and you can have a ball…or a floor plan.

I see Dave has send you some revisions which is typical of his generous self…now about his hat.

Good luck from the great Northwest.

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.