Counter sink a lag bolt when the timber is on a 45 degree angle

Hey everybody,
I am having the hardest time trying to figure out how to counter sink a lag bolt that is horizontal
into a timber that is on a 45 degree angle. Need some help.
Thank you in advance zadach

Do you really mean counterbore? Draw a stepped “drill” and move it into place in the timber. Intersect its faces with the timber’s faces and delete what isn’t needed.

DaveR,
How can I put a picture on here. I will try that, I don’t understand stepped drill.

Upload with the 7th button from the left.

Does this help?

If you were countersinking the hole for a flat head screw, you could draw the stepped drill with a conical shape between diameters. And it would also need to be counterbored. :wink:

Thank you DaveR,
I understand what you mean by stepped drill. Dig it thanks again.
zadach

You’re welcome.

If you were a real SketchUp ninja, you would make a component of the “drill” with it’s insertion point positioned for easy placement. Then you could position the drill, use it with Trim and Keep to drill the hole in the timber component and then replace the drill component with the lag bolt and flat washer component.

2 Likes

Happy New Year DaveR
I learned alot on that project your right about making a components I’m learning getting
better.

2 Likes

DaveR,
You got me thinking about Drill as component and insertion point. When you talk about trim and keep.
are you talking about solid tools.
Thanks Steve Z

I’m glad I got you thinking about that. :smile:

Trim and Keep is an extension available here. It does the Trim function from the Solid Tools set but it is better because you wind up with the component and all instances of the component modified, too. So if you have multiple instances of the diagonal brace component in your model, you could drill one and they’d all get drilled. If you use the Trim tool from the Solid Tools set, the component you drill will get converted to a group and only it will get the hole. The other instances will remain untouched.

DaveR,
Thanks again. Downloaded found it in the tools menu. It took me a minute to get proper sequence.
Finally got it to work right. Next time I run across Diagonal bracing with counter bore and lag bolts
I will certainly make the diagonal braces all components. So I can use this tool.
Thank you Steve Z.

DaveR,
You have taught me a lot. I want to learn more. As a carpenter I have always
called counter bore counter sink. I won’t anymore.
Thanks Steve

1 Like

Steve, you can use the same method as for using the Trim tool. Think, “Use this to trim that.”

If you use it a few times you’ll find that there are many uses for it and when combined with components, it’s very powerful and speeds up the modeling process. When I draw furniture pieces, nearly always, I use Trim and Keep to cut the second half of joints. That applies to cutting mortises, box joints, the tails for dovetails and so on. And because I’m using only components, I don’t have to touch every single part.

As an example, cutting the mortises in the legs and the stretcher is a walk in the park with Trim and Keep. Once the parts are in the right places, it’s just a few clicks to make the holes. And since the legs are instances of the same component and the stretchers are, too. I only needed to cut the mortise in one leg and in one stretcher.

The same applies to drilling the holes for the spindles in the seat and the top rail.

1 Like

That made me laugh. I think it is fairly common for people to get those terms mixed up. Most of the time it probably isn’t a problem as long as you know what it is you need to do. It does get to be a big thing when you have to talk to others. If you ask someone to put in countersinks for screws you might discover they used something like this and your lag screws won’t fit so well. :wink:

1 Like

Lol.
Your right. I like your furniture, nice style. Thanks for the trim tool information.
I’m sure I’ll have plenty more questions.
Thank you Steve Z.