Copy/Paste a Group

New Sketchup user so it may be user error. Here is the issue…

I am following a tutorial for creating a 2D floorplan with simple exterior walls (one square) on one layer and several interior walls on another layer. The interior walls are disconnected from the exterior walls. The exterior walls were created with the rectangle tool and offset. The face of the exterior walls was deleted before the interior walls were created. The interior walls were created with the rectangle tool and connected using the erase tool at intersections. Both sets of walls are saved into separate groups using the triple click method. There are no nested groups. The camera is set to Parallel Projection and Top Vew.

I then create a 3rd layer to save copies of each group. Using Copy > Paste in Place each new copy is renamed and placed in the 3rd layer. All four groups show correctly in the Outliner.

Now my problem… if I un-check the exterior wall layer, the exterior wall copy still displays from the 3rd layer. If I un-check the interior wall layer, both copies of the interior walls disappear. If I click the interior wall copy in Outliner with the Interior Wall layer turned off, it shows the outline of the group, but not the walls. All objects are 2D as nothing has been extruded.

Any ideas what might be causing this?

Thanks in advance.

Old Redtop

How about sharing the SKP file so we can see what you’ve got. I’m not understanding why you are copying groups and pasting them in place but it sounds as if you have multiple copies in the same location.

Thanks for the quick response Dave. New to the forum, so hopefully the .skp file will arrive with this reply. The state of this file is before the copy/paste, but after the groups were created.

My understanding from the tutorial is that one copy is for creating the 2D door and window openings and the other will be used later for a 3D tutorial. I’m just trying to follow along and do what I am told… lol
Barn Plan 2D - v1a.skp (147.9 KB)

OK. I think I see what you are trying to do. In the file you posted, select both the exterior and interior wall plan groups.and hit Ctrl+C to copy them to the clipboard. Then to make it easier to see what you are doing, uncheck the Walls - Interior and Walls - Exterior layers to turn them off. Hit Edit>Paste in place and then immediately, in Entity Info, set their layer association to Plan 2D.

Dave,

I tried that but still end up with a blank group of interior walls. I am using the latest trial version of Sketchup.

Attached is the version based on your instructions. Uncheck the Interior and Exterior layers to see what happens.

Thanks.

Barn Plan 2D - Dave version.skp (148.3 KB)

You’re doing it wrong. Now you’ve got the Plan 2D Layer active. Layer 0 should always be active. And you’ve got the geometry in the groups on layers other than Layer 0.

Hang on for a PM.

Thanks to DaveR this is sorted out. For any of you other ‘Noobs’ that might find this topic in a search, make sure that you build everything in Layer 0. Then… if you need to control visibility, create groups or components and move them to other Layers.

Thanks a bunch DaveR for clarifying that and getting me back on the road. You’re the best!

(p.s. Dave, if I got any of that wrong, please correct :slight_smile: )

Old Redtop

1 Like

I would reword that. Create groups or components to provide separation between “lumps” of geometry. Use Layers to control the visibility of those groups or components.

Another piece of advice: if you copy a group or component and paste it inside another group or component, the pasted copy will retain the layer association it had before the copy/paste. It will not get shifted to the container’s layer or to Layer0. This means that if you toggle visibility of the layer both the external original and the nested copy will vanish/appear. Sometimes that is what you want. But if you aren’t aware that’s how it works it can be confusing. So, think about your intent and as necessary change the layer of the copy after the paste. Layer0 is usually the least confusing choice for nested objects.

Thanks for the advice, Steve. I am here to learn and so far the response from the community is commendable (and much appreciated…:slight_smile: )

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.