Converting all dimensions from Metric to Imperial all at once

I have a model completed in metric. There are approximately 20 or so measurements that I would like to convert to imperial. Is there a way to change these all at once, rather than going into each measurement individually?

What do you mean by that? Are you wanting to modify the displayed dimensions to show as imperial instead of metric? Or do you want to change the actual dimensions?

Wanting to modify the displayed dimensions

OK. And are you referring to dimensions in SketchUp or in LayOut?

If you want to change the displayed dimensions in SketchUp, just go to Window>Model Info>Units and change the model units to Fractional.

If you want to change the units for dimensions in LayOut, select all of the dimensions on the page and change the units in Dimension Style.

1 Like

OK. And are you referring to dimensions in SketchUp or in LayOut?

Sorry Dave, I’m not sure I understand your question. I have made a model of a bathroom vanity in SketchUp Pro. I used the ‘Dimension’ tool to reference all of the needed dimensions throughout my model. All of these dimensions are in metric (decimal). I would like to convert all of the dimension to imperial (fractions). I am hoping there is a way to do this without having to convert each dimension individually.

Hope this makes sense. I will see if I can figure out how to drag my model over for reference.

Bathroom Vanity - Doors & Drawers - Metric.skp (62.6 KB)

I’m guessing then you added your dimensions in SketchUp. If that’s the case, follow my directions for SketchUp.

I’m looking at your file. Unfortunately because you edited every one of them they are no longer “dimensions”. You’d have to manually edit them.

Here I’ve added some dimensions without editing them. Changing the Units from Decimal to Fractional shows the change to those dimensions.
dims

If you want to change the displayed dimensions in SketchUp, just go to Window>Model Info>Units and change the model units to Fractional.

I am familiar with how to change the dimensions for future dimensions. I am trying to change the entire set of dimensions that have already been placed in the model.

I’m looking at your file. Unfortunately because you edited every one of them they are no longer “dimensions”. You’d have to manually edit them.

I don’t’ understand how I would be able to avoid ‘editing’ the dimensions?

See the gif I added to my previous post. You edited every dimension and replaced the linked dimension with text so they are no longer considered dimensions by SketchUp.

There should be no need to edit the dimensions to add all that text.

SketchUp linear dimensions normally contain only the measurements. The ones in your model include labels in addition to the measurements. You have to have done that manually; SketchUp never does that on its own. As @DaveR noted, this breaks SketchUp’s ability to handle them in the normal way.

Thanks, Dave. I see that adjusted a few of them. Appreciate the info.

understood. Thanks!

Yes. It only adjusted the ones I put in and didn’t modify.

Who is it that has to work with these dimensions to build this piece?

If you must mix text and measurement in a dimension, there is a magic string that tells SketchUp to insert the measurement into the text. Just type <> where you want the measurement, for example “Rear Stretcher: <>”. Then it will both be regenerated automatically if you resize the part and will track the current units setting.

I am building the subject piece.

I recently built a workbench and worked off plans that provided both metric and imperial measurements. In my opinion its easier to work of metric, but also have imperial plans to cross reference. Also, I would like to be able to mimic this format (imperial & metric plans) for potential design/plans I come up with down the road.

Generally I find it better to create actual plans for woodworking projects with dimensions added in LayOut. I create 2D views from the model along with exploded views and views of just the parts. These are examples from one project I did for a client. This isn’t all of the plan, though.

You could use TIG’s Dual Dimensions plugin from Sketchucation for that. Personally I’ve never liked the idea of trying to make a single model work with both metric and imperial units at the same time. The rounding can cause errors.

That is awesome! Thanks! Loving the support on here so far!!

I don’t have it installed, so I can’t test now, but doesn’t Dual Dims calculate the dimension values using the start and end points of an edge and insert it as text in the dimension? If so, does it track when you change model units or resize the edge?

Yes. It does do that. But it’s the only tool I know of that will create the dual dimensions requested by the OP.

As I wrote, I don’t personally think dual dimensions are appropriate in a woodworking plan.