Convert Free Make Model to Pro Solids

I produced a model using the free version 2016 Make. I then purchased the Pro version and want use the ‘solid’ tools to do subtractions. I get an error msg. saying I don’t have solid components. Is there a way to convert objects of faces to solids?

A Solid in SketchUp is a single Group or Component whose geometry meets certain conditions.
When those conditions are met, Entity Info indicates the model is a Solid Group or Solid Component.
Also notice Entity Info indicates the Volume of a selected Solid.

• The geometry must form a single* airtight vessel.
Like a perfect soap bubble … •No gaps •No holes •No leaks

• No extraneous Faces** inside or outside the vessel.
All Faces must serve to enclose the singular volume of the vessel.

• No stray Edges.
All Edges must serve to support a Face that in turn serves to enclose the airtight vessel.
Thus, each Edge supports two Faces … no more, no less.

• No nested Groups or Components.

*A Solid Group or Solid Component may contain one or more separate airtight vessels.
**Best that all Faces are oriented Front Side (white) facing out.

Understanding Solid Objects in SketchUp — Aidan Chopra
Programming & Web Design Articles - dummies
http://www.aidanchopra.com/web-content/chapter-6/understanding-solids

Solid Inspection/Repair Tools

TIG: SolidSolver

ThomThom: Solid Inspector²
http://extensions.sketchup.com/en/content/solid-inspector²

1 Like

Thanks Geo.!!! This is great help!!

I also have nested components. Can I explode them and create one component and then use the solid tools?

And I’ll use the tools you suggest.

Gee, I paid big bucks to do more work. I thought I was going to do less… Oh well…

Ron

As outlined above, a Solid is a single Group or Component with no other Group(s) or Component(s) nested inside.

Whether or not simply exploding the nested components will result in the parent component being solid depends upon the modeling situation.

First…
• If the nested components are not solids themselves, clean up their geometry so they become solids.

Then…
• If the nested components overlap and are solids themselves…
You might use the Solid tools to use to combine them into a single solid.
Exploding that single nested solid will result in the the parent component being a solid.

• If the nested components are solids themselves and do not touch one another…
Then just explode them and the parent component will be a solid.

Using only the Intersect command and the Eraser, one can manually accomplish the operations performed automatically by the Solid tools. The advantage of SketchUp Pro’s Solid tools is the ease and speed of performing the operations.

Experienced modelers tend to focus on creating single solid components as they build a model, thereby insuring the power of the Solid tools is readily available as the model progresses.
Keep it simple. Over-nesting not only slows you down, it can also slow overall model performance.