Convert 3D component from Warehouse into 2D elevation block

Hi there! Is it possible to convert a 3D component downloaded from the warehouse and convert it to a 2D component for elevations? My component is a toilet. My initial thought is to lock the component and trace over it, but with all the delicate curves of the 3D component, I wonder if there’s a faster way/function to just simply flatten the profile and use that for an elevation instead.

Why flatten it at all? Just show it in Parallel Project with the correct standard view. That will help you avoid issues with 2D faces trying to share the same space. You can use the same component for front, side and plan views. If you must make 2D components you could draw rectangles that pass through the 3D component’s centerlines and use Intersect Faces to get the shape.

Out of curiosity, why are you only making 2D views using a 3D modeler?

Thanks for your response! The long of it: I took an online tutorial back in December before I had a formal class in my college program. The tutorial only had us work in 3D, as expected. This college class, however, is taught by a designer that uses SketchUp in 2D first and then goes into 3D (which I have yet to see, we’re still only in 2D). It’s clear that I’m ahead of the other students in the class who are brand new to the program, so I went ahead and built the whole model in 3D like I learned from the tutorial. However, the college instructor wants 2D drawings with elevations and dimensions, and while I’ve learned from others to use the Camera Position and Parallel Projection to make an elevation, adding dimension lines becomes tricky as the dim lines disappear behind walls or other objects when I try to extend them. So I figured I could quickly draw 2D elevations just to please the prof. Here’s my file. “Section 3” was made with the Camera Position method and “Kitchen Elevation” is just plain 2D line drawings…if you pan over you’ll see I’m starting the bathroom elevation.

Floorplan 1.skp (6.2 MB)

Sorry, “Section 1” is what I meant!!

That seems like a strange way to go but they are the instructor. You are indeed head, though.

In what form do you need to present the illustrations? Would something like this pass?

You could send your file to LayOut and use your scenes for viewports. Then do all your dimensions and annotations in LayOut so they don’t disappear behind your model.

Thanks so much! That looks great, is that done in LayOut?

I think he was trying to just have us export images for now as we haven’t gone into LayOut yet (I’ve played with it a little). Honestly, I kinda zone out and just do my thing in this class.

That seems to be the way to go. I’ll give that a shot, thank you!

That is just a screen grab from SketchUp after I edited the style to Hidden Line and set the Profiles to 1.

In the case you can do what he wants. Just change the face style and if you don’t care for the heavy profile edges (I don’t) set Profiles to 1. If you turn off Profiles the toilets will disappear.

I’ve had students like you! :smiley:

It’ll certainly be less work than creating 2D drawings in Sketchup from your model.

Good luck.

Thank you for your time! :innocent:

1 Like

As a tiny addition to what Dave has told you, if you are avoiding layout for now, you can export the elevation images then bring them back into sketchup to add your dimensions etc and export again.

You need to use layout, it’s very intuitive and works perfectly with sketchup, I use it to make floor plans and documentation all the time

The toilet that was downloaded already has a 2-D representation or ‘proxie’. It’s part of a system or way to create construction documents fast from LayOut. (ConDoc by Mike Brightman designs)
If you rightclick on the toilet and choose ‘Save As’ you can save it on the desktop for instance and then open it with SketchUp.
Components are just like ‘little SketchUp models’.
There are two Tags, CONDOC_3D Objects and CONDOC_2D Graphics and they basically are used for what they are called (!)
So in Top views, one could use the 2D graphic, only. For other elevations, one could set up simular views and add groups that are tagged differently, but most often the top view is enough.

Check out this thread for another example where the use of 3d Objects only result in an un-managable model:

1 Like