Constant crashing on export attempts

Hey there world, having a frustrating morning with SketchUp Pro 2021 21.1.331

After multiple reboots and a multitude of different files (a basic rectangle through to a complex model) SketchUp crashes when I try to use the export 2D and the Export 3D function.

Any thoughts on a fix would be amazing. Thanks Llewelyn.

Here is a copy of the crash report:

Incident Identifier: BC69BCD2-67CF-45EF-9BC2-816AD2708835
CrashReporter Key: F748ACD1-A9D8-5601-9F59-DD506B302D6A
Hardware Model: MacBookPro8,1
Process: SketchUp [698]
Path:
Identifier: com.sketchup.SketchUp.2021
Version: 21.1 (21.1.331)
Code Type: X86-64
Parent Process: launchd [1]

Date/Time: 2021-11-25T09:17:26Z
Launch Time: 2021-11-25T09:16:05Z
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.13.6 (17G14042)
Report Version: 104

Exception Type: SIGABRT
Exception Codes: #0 at 0x10f240256
Crashed Thread: 0

According to the documentation, SketchUp 2021 is not supported on MacOS X 10.13. Your crashes might be related to this.

If you have a SketchUp Pro subscription, it would let you use version 2020, or, if I have understood right, you could try loading your model into the online SketchUp Shop and exporting from there. I am not quite sure if a Pro subscription allows the use of Shop too.

1 Like

Thanks Anssi, yes I’m aware of that, the strange thing is that it has been exporting with no issue until today!

I’m trying to keep this mac going, bought it in 2011 and its still going strong. Apple has stopped any further upgrades on to newer OS which is sad…another perfectly funtional piece of hardware ready to scrap…

If it has been working before, it might be that the preferences files are damaged. The remedy would be to delete them so SketchUp would recreate them at the next launch. I think @colin could tell you where to find them.

1 Like

The settings files are in here:

~/Library/Application Support/SketchUp 2021/SketchUp/

You could try renaming both json files, and see if that helps.

Do you still have 2020 installed, and does that work? Your subscription lets you use 2019, 2020, or 2021.

1 Like

Yes, works fine on 2020. Will try the settings files.

Thanks so much.

A solid decade of OS updates for hardware is very impressive, and by no means is your hardware ready to scrap. It is still perfectly functional.

2 Likes

Yep I agree but I now have compatibility issues with 4 software platforms not being supported and I need to buy a new computer (as far as I understand the hardware is now incompatible with newer versions of OS?

Unless I only use the computer for web browsing or running specific dwindling volumes of software that remain compatible it seems more and more unusable no? Trying to think of other things it could be good for? Turn it into a TV I guess?

For running 3D modelling software that is up to date - Sketchup and Rhino alongside running audio and video editing software this workhorse is very near the end of life, from my perspective…would love to know if there is a magic workaround!

I don’t see the issue. Your computer is a decade old, but you insist on running software that doesn’t run on it anymore. Of course you have to upgrade the machine if you have no choice but to run only the newest operating system and software packages.

The computer isn’t useless anymore. You can simply keep it running a stable OS version and running older versions of software perfectly well. Many people do this. But trying to run state-of-the-art 3D modeling, audio and video editing software on a machine that old will obviously be an issue.

Sounds like you’re just describing a classic upgrade path, not really an issue any company is responsible for. And since you are clearly a creative professional who needs this software, this tool is a part of how you make money, and you deserve an upgrade.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.