Changing the Template when “Create New”

I attempting to create a new project on my iPad but I can’t figure out how to change the template when trying to create a new project. The drop down menu only allows me to change the unit of measurement, I can not find a way to change the actual template that I am starting with. For example: I am attempting to change it from Architectural to Plan View.

No need for a different template. Just go to the Scenes panel–the clapboard on the right side and choose the appropriate standard view.

1 Like

On the Home screen, the downward arrow next to “Create New” offers different basic templates. If you have you’re own custom template, you’ll have to “Open From…” just like any other file.

@megshannig thanks for posting your questions here regarding templates. Are there any other ways in which you’re wanting to use the default templates that are available in other flavors of SketchUp? Or create and save your own templates?

For what it’s worth, here’s one workflow for creating your own templates that I’ve been playing around with:

1. Launch the SketchUp app and pop over to the Trimble Connect tab.
  2. Create a New Project (called Templates)
  3. Tap the Create New button while still on the Connect Tab.
  4. Make any/all template-related changes to it (default camera angle, default tag sets, default scenes, default material library, etc. etc)
  5. Save and close the file and dismiss the prompt to purge unused. Note that you land back in the Connect tab and the file is automatically saved to the Templates project in Connect.
  6. Rename the model (via the … > Rename option)
  7. Pop back over to the Recent Models tab, where you’ll see your new template at the top of the Recent Models list.
  8. Whenever you’re wanting to start a new project, choose … > Download a copy to create a local duplicate copy of the original template file to open and edit.

I hope this helps.