Changing lengths of sub Components that has 45 degree cuts on the ends

I have my trim pieces set as sub components in my main component and one end of the trim pieces are cut at a 45 degree angle. Tho top trim piece is cut at both ends at 45 degree angles. How do I adapt these pieces so they are the correct length for different size door. (i.e. If I have an 80" tall door that is 32" wide the trim pieces should have their inner length 11 80 1/2" (to allow for the door frame/casing) and the top trim piece should have it’s inner side have a length of 33" (Door width + 2 * the frame thickness) I hope I explained it properly. If this is still confusing let me know and maybe I can fashion an example to illustrate my problem.

I think the easiest way is to insert sub-components of a fixed size, which would contain 45 degree cuts, so changeable pieces would have 90 degrees ends:
2018-02-20_12h55_48

Edges of a join between a fixed size and adjustable sub-components should be hidden in order to display only a 45 degrees cut.

The only probl;em with that solution is that I want the frame width and thickness to both be changable according to the wishes of the user. So the fized corner still would not work. It would also need to change.

You must ‘chop’ the frame in pieces.:

Don’t make the corner a fixed size. You still need to make the corners separate from the rest of the frame member. You can see that I’ve kept the miter angle at 45° in this example.
dc

The stile is divided into three sections. The miter components get resized in both x and z directions when the frame width is changed.

The rest of the window frame is does the same way. You could use a square block at the corners instead of the miter component I made and just draw a diagonal line to indicate the miter. If you used some extension to clean up the model at some point you might lose those coplanar diagonal edges.

1 Like

I don’t know why I didn’t think of that. I guess I was expecting it to be a lot more complex for some reason. That should work great. Thanks for the help. ANd the details in the explanation are excellent. Thank you again for taking the time to make the explanation easy to understand.

For a simple frame, it is not much work:

With a rabbet, you must ‘divide’ the component in more groups:

Best is to draw all divided parts in place and then adjust formulas.
If you don’t want to see the lines, you must have even more parts:

file:Miter.skp (207.4 KB)

further to this technique, I suggest all the parts be solid and made as groups, thus one can outershell and explode to make a manifold shape of the contents without any residue. This is preferable with beams, joists etc where its likely holes, notches maybe added later

1 Like

Off course, when you do that, you will loose the ‘Dynamic’ part. You can use exploding and regrouping the geometry ass well, though. Sometimes needs a little cleanup (Solid Inspector,Cleanup, etc)

true it will be a one level component, but you can swap it with the original, it will retain the parent data and replace as per the exploded instance values, and reinstate its dynamic nature

1 Like

Little ‘DuH’-moment here!!:grinning:
I never used the last step (eg replacing with the original)…
SketchUp is a parametric builder after all(!?!)

Thak you il will try Regards

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.