Can't use dimensions tool

I think I disabled the dimensions tool accidentally somehow. I was reading some other forums that said something about turning off edges and profiles, but I’m not sure how to re-enable that on the free version.

dimensionstool

Share the SketchUp file so we can see what you’ve got going on.

There is no setting for disabling dimensions.

1 Like

Turning off edges (their visibility) in SketchUp is possible but then you wouldn’t have endpoints or midpoints to grab with the ‘Dimension’ tool (or other tools). This does not seem to be the case in your screneshot. Edges are visible. So there should be anchors for the ‘Dimension’ tool.

Profiles can allso be turned off but that does not have any effect on the ‘Dimension’ tool.

So please share the skp file for further feedback.

Here is my file. Thanks for the assistance.
Workspace 1.skp (313.8 KB)

I’m not having any difficulty adding dimensions in your model. I did choose a style that doesn’t show materials which makes it easier to see the corners and midpoints in the model. I also turned off shadows. Try that on your end.

dims

FWIW, you have a bunch of reversed faces–the diagonal braces. Those should be corrected. It’s unfortunate that you chose to use groups instead of components. If you were using components you could edit one brace and correct them all at once.

@cd2, same for me. No difficulties.

See if this version plays better for you.
Workspace 1.skp (319.4 KB)

I’ll use components next time. This is only my second day using this program.

1 Like

This one’s working like normal. What did you change?

All I did is convert your groups to components and align axes on the angled ones. And fix the incrrect face orientation on the braces.

When you were trying to place dimensions are you sure you were clicking on endpoints in the model? The Dimension tool won’t anchor to random pplaces along th edges. It needs to be an endpoint or a midpoint.

To help achieve your goals, some time spent at the SketchUp Campus and at the SketchUp - YouTube channel will be very worthwhile. Both sites are from the SketchUp team. On the YouTube channel, pay attention to the Square One Series and Level UP series. They cover the basics for each tool.

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.