Can't print to scale in Sketchup Make 2017

Did you actually try typing anything in the fields?

Typically this problem stems from the printer drivers. You might try updating them.

I did type the settings into the blank fields with unsatisfactory results. Give me some time to update thr drivers and I’ll get back to you.

Maybe you can share the .skp file so we can see if there’s anything related to it.

What scale are you after?

Which printer? I remember people posting this who used the Microsoft PDF printer and some HP models. Zoom Extents, btw, is not needed. SketchUp prints what is visible on your screen. Including any white space.

The scale I would like to use is 1:1. The model is 8" x 22".Searving Board.skp (24.2 KB)

The printer is an HP Office Jet Pro 9010 series. Drivers are up-to-date.

Again, I appreciate your help.

I just went ahead and made a full size pattern for the handle end. You shouldn’t need a pattern for the other end. This is for letter size paper and your pattern is pretty wide. Hopefully the printer will print out to the edges.
Serving Board.pdf (2.1 KB)

Does the Page setup window for the OfficeJet work normally?

Yes, Page setup and print preview normally work normally.
Dave, your file printed perfectly. Thank you. But I still have not solved the problem. I also need to be able to print to scale. It seems the issue is with the printer, my Sketchup App or Windows 10. I would like to fix whatever it is.

Having said what I said, I don’t remember ever trying to print to scale in any other app.

Not all SketchUp users have this problem so I expect it’s a printer driver issue.

I suspect you’re right. Any idea on how to proceed?

How did you determine if the print drivers are up to date? Did you check with HP or just let Windows tell you?

If you have much of this sort of thing to do you might find it makes sense to switch to Pro so you have LayOut. Even if printing to scale from SketchUp did work, there’s a lot of gymnastics to make it work for what you want to do. It’s much easier to do this with LayOut and you can get better looking results. Admittedly it’s a bit of an investment for your hobby but if you value your time, it might be worthwhile. There are quite a few other benefits with the Pro version and you might even find you can sell some of your work to drefray the costs.

I don’t use Sketchup often enough to justify the $300 price tag. And I am not in the business of selling anything. Also, if Make is suppose to print to scale, then I would like to be able to print to scale. I just want it to work as intended.

I guess then you should investigate the print driver thing some more.

At this stage you can be sure that SketchUp 2017 will not get any changes.

You could also look at SketchUp Free (Web). I think it has a print to scale option. SketchUp Shop certainly does.

I am going to uninstall and then reinstall my printer. If it is a printer problem, maybe this will fix it.

I think you have done all you can for me for now and I truly appreciate it. I will let you know if I have any luck. Thanks again for your help (and for the print out).
SamL

1 Like

Good luck.

SamL
I uninstalled and reinstalled the printer with no success. I also tried to print to scale with several other SK files and n0ne were successful. I am done for now.

If you don’t yet have one, download and install a PDF printer driver and PDF editor. There are a zillion available online, some free and some paying. At home I have an old Acrobat Pro that is expensive overkill, at work and on my small laptop I have PDF Xchange Editor, it is free for personal use and even a paying license won’t bankrupt one. Then you can go to your printer with a PDF file in between.