Can't isolate and adjust shape that shares edges with another

Hey, brand new to SketchUp and haven’t figured out how to even word this issue specifically to search for any previous answers to it, or I wouldn’t be posting this. I just want to offset this square face between the octagons, but when I do, the octagons edges drag with it and warp them. I don’t know how to separate those edges. I just want to adjust this square between them to create say, an inset square nested in it, or to create a centered column below it, but I can’t figure out how.

Any help is appreciated!

Your screenshot shows you using the scale tool, try using the offset tool instead.

Oof, you’re right. Been stumbling a lot as I jump into this. Thank you.

You can also create a group with the square to isolate its geometry from the octagons.

Then double click on the group to enter its context and modify it as much as you want.

Click outside the group to close it, then you can move it, scale it, rotate it, etc.

To help achieve your goals, some time spent at the SketchUp Campus and at the SketchUp - YouTube channel will be very worthwhile. Both sites are from the SketchUp team. On the YouTube channel, pay attention to the Square One Series. It covers the basics for each tool.

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.