Can't find materials library

I am trying to add material to a drawing and would like to import a custom material. All the posts I’ve read so far say to open the “in model” materials folder and click the + to add. I can’t for the life of me find this. When I open the materials folder the “colors” folder pops up with no option to add anything. Am I missing something?

That is indeed a bit confusing. The posts that you were reading probably spoke about the Windows version of SketchUp, where there is a tiger-patterned “plus” button.

The OS X version of SketchUp uses a materials browser derived from the system color chooser. To add a new material, you have to click on the “List” dropdown and select “new” (if I’m not mistaken).

http://help.sketchup.com/en/article/114966

I can’t find the materials browser. When I go to “Window” and select “Materials” the colors browser pops up. Is there another way I can try to select it that anyone knows of?

I normally select a texture (any) then edit it to change it’s name and load an image into it.

1 Like

The window labeled ‘Colors’ is the right one…
click on the ‘Brick’ to get ‘Materials’ window, then the ‘House’ for ‘In Model’…
click ‘Color’ >> ‘New Texture’ to add a one…

Awesome. So simple :slight_smile: Thanks.