Cannot subtract 2 solid objects (usefully)

Subtract couplr stud issue.skp (2.2 MB)

Can anybody please help? I cannot subtract the inner object from the outer. Both are solid…

I can’t see your file right now but subtract would only work on solids that have intersecting faces. Not when one is inside the other. SketchUp os a surface modeler. There’s no material Inside a solid.

In addition. If you need to represent some solid as being hollow, the inner manifold needs go be in the same drawing context as the outer manifold. Then group all It’s geometry. The outer manifold has all It’s front faces on the outside ( white visible). The inner one has all It’s back faces visible if you would be in between both manifold surfaces. (as of you were where the actual material is. You would then see only blueish back faces from both manifolds). Switch to X-ray to see this.
Or use a section plane to inspect your component

SketchUp’s solids were introduced in 2009 if I’m not mistaken. They still don’t work well with small units (and other problems).
For now: if you temporary scale both objects x1000 and perform the boolean it works nicely. Afterwards scale back again 0.001

1 Like

What happens when you try it?

It works for me.

Ok thanks anyway. Glad it worked for you!!

Did you get it? If not, what happens when you try?

Try scaling the model up by a factor of 100 or 1000 before doing it.

Since they are components, I would scale copies of the two components up and use Eneroth Solid Tools Subtract to work on the large copies. When you are finished, delete the large ones and return to the original ones with Zoom Extents.

It’s working now. Thanks. Honestly, I didn’t do anything. Maybe the all seeing internet eye interfered.

Or the way you were holding your tongue.