Cannot insert a 3D warehouse window unit to cut through a wall surface

I cannot insert a window into a wall surface and have it make an opening that cuts through the wall.
I checked and the component is glued to any surface and “cut opening” is also selected.

Is the wall a group or component? If so, open the group/component for editing and place the window.

No - the wall is neither a group or component

The only way the window actually cuts though the window is if I create an opening in the wall
the same size as the window and delete the opening. This takes too long and is not something I want to do
every time.

How about sharing the model so we can see exactly what you’ve got going on?

​Here’s the file. I’ve spent almost two days and figure out why the windows are not

punching through to see through the glass.

Thanks.

I don’t see the file.

3D warehouse window unit to cut through a wall surface
sketchup+f3e51ece80ea7a51863d58e3424b7c6e@discoursemail.com>

Detective’s Area.skp
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EJTGmZEYKyMmi6RZovFXxv-vGZUsKbxj/view?usp=drive_web
​Here’s the file. I’ve spent almost two days and figure out why the windows
are not
punching through to see through the glass.

Thanks.

Are you referring to this one?

It’s not made correctly to cut an opening. Is this a window you got from the 3D Warehouse? If so, it’s poorly made for the purpose.

Try this one.It’s still a bit sloppy for a component but it’s appearance matches the other ones in your model, still and it cuts openings.
Window.skp (576.0 KB)

yes- but it seems like any window I select fro the 3D warehouse will not cut through the wall and I can’t see through the glass once

it’s in the wall. I can see through the glass in the window before I insert the window only.

How do I edit a window to cut through? I have been selecting glue to any surface and cut opening in the components window.

Not every window component in the 3D Warehouse is designed to cut openings. Many components are poorly made and need to be edited. Maybe you should learn to make your own instead of depending on other authors.

That’s just not enough. Start here:

Your window worked.
Thanks.

why aren’t my windows cutting.skp (961.4 KB)

I can’t seem to get this too work.

Cut Opening only works on one face, so if you have a wall with thickness you either need to create a double cut component that needs to be exploded to do the cutting, or intersect the second face and delete it.
Double%20face

1 Like

That is awesome! Just one additional step! Thank you.

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.