Cannot enter dimensions into "Length" box

Who says there’s no reason why anyone would type dimensions in the VCB? If you want to do precise modeling, you need to type in the VCB.

There is no reason to click in the VCB before typing. If it’s available for entry, just type.

There’s no reason you shouldn’t be able to type in the VCB and there’s no reason you can’t type just one dimension if you’d like. If you want to specify the first dimension, type it followed by a comma (or semicolon if you use a comma as the decimal separator) and hit Enter. If you want to specify only the second dimension, type the comma first.

Of course you would type the dimension as 36’7 3/8. no hyphens and no need for " if you are using Architectural or another one with inch units.

Again, no clicking in the VCB. If you want to change a dimension to something else, use the Move or Scale tool and make the adjustment. Still, do not click in the VCB. Just let go of the mouse and type.

Thanks for the quick response. I don’t get the same information on the Measurement box. Your’s shows length then dimensions. Mine never shows length, nor am I able to type in the box. I just can’t click in it.

Aside from how I wrote in my post, I know how to enter the numbers. This was a question about being able to type in the box, not about how I format the numbers in the box.

One more time: DO NOT CLICK IN THE VCB BEFORE TYPING THE DIMENSIONS.

It shows “Length” for measuring with the Tape Measure tool. It shows “Dimensions” when the Rectangle tool is active.

That’s fine. We run into plenty of users who don’t know how to format the dimensions they are trying to enter. Just trying to make sure there’s no confusion there, too. I’ve answered the how question no less than three times in this thread

I understand that you’ve answered the question multiple times and I have read and tried your suggestions. But it isn’t working for me and I can’t figure out why. Maybe I’m just dense. But I’ve been working with Sketchup for a very long time and I’m struggling with this.

I am NOT clicking in the VCB before typing in the value. I’ve attached another image. I pull the rectangle from the top left down to the bottom right. I want the length, but not the width. I want 25". When I type 25" (not clicking in the box) it changes the length to 25".
How do you get the tape measure during this procedure? I don’t get a tape measure.

Another screenshot
This is what happens when I type in 25. I want to type the width. but it changes the length.

But you wrote:

Which implies you have been clicking in the box.

You aren’t doing what I showed in the GIF I posted or told you to do.

I just grabbed the Tape Measure tool after I drew the rectangle so I could measure the length of my rectangle and prove it was the length I had entered when I drew it. It’s not a specific part of the process of drawing the rectangle.

From the top: Get the Rectangle tool. Click on the upper left corner of your walls. Release the mouse button. Drag the rectangle down until the bottom edge is at the wall at the bottom. Type ,25 (comma 25) and hit Enter. That’s all it takes.

THANK YOU!
That is me being dense. I focused on the GIF, which by the way goes too fast and the actions don’t look the same for me - such as the tape measure, never get that, so couldn’t follow. But I did not read thoroughly your instructions.

See the edit to my post, above, regarding the Tape Measure.

1 Like

Thanks again. I really appreciate your help and patience.
I’ve struggled with this as it operates differently on the Mac and I have been so used to working that way.

1 Like

Even on the Mac there’s no reason to click in the VCB.

A frequent source of confusion, as on the Mac you can click in the VCB but you don’t need to and shouldn’t (a waste of motion)!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.