Cannot create own texture

Problematic area: Creating a new texture within application

Description of the Issue: I followed the steps at Adding Colors and Textures with Materials | SketchUp Help under the heading “Creating Your Own Materials”, but couldn’t get past step three (Select Color > New Texture) because the “New Texture” option was grayed-out and unclickable.

Selected Version of SketchUp: Sketchup Pro 2017

Selected Operating System: Desktop Mac - OS X Yosemite version 10.10.5

Did you have the In Model library selected? You can’t create a new texture directly in an existing local library. Click on the brick icon and then Colors in Model from the drop down list.

My preferred method for creating new textures is different than shown there. I draw a rectangle (or rectangles if I’m making more than one) the size of the texture. Then I use File>Import to import the image as a texture and apply it to the rectangle. Click on the front left corner and drag to the opposite side. The texture will automatically be the proper size and included in the In Model textures.

Thank you - that worked! I had been trying to create it in “carpet and textiles” because I was trying to make a pink shag carpet. Thanks!

If you haven’t done so, you can save your texture for later use. After you have the pink shag carpet in your colors in Model collection, drag it to the palette at the bottom of the colors window. Then switch to the Carpet and Textiles library and drag the texture from the palette up into the window showing the thumbnails.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.