Can You Configure Dimension Orientation?

When I use layout to apply dimensions to my drawing sets, it seems that the text in dimension strings is always oriented with the tops of the digits to the top of the page for horizontal dimensions, and with the tops of the digits to the left of the page for vertical dimensions. Is there any way to change this? What if I want the tops of the digits for vertical dimensions to be oriented to the right side of the page? Is it possible to do that?

After you insert your dimension, explode and then you can rotate the text so that it faces in the opposite direction. Layout won’t do that automatically. You have to do it manually.

@derflatermaus

Dimension characteristics are controlled from the Dimension Style window (See attached graphic)

One can even double click into the dimension and manually move and edit the measurement text if needed

To expand a bit on what Chris said, the dimension inspector offers four text orientations:
Vertical - text is vertical, with top of text oriented to the LEFT side of the page
Horizontal - text is horizontal, with top of text oriented to the TOP of the page
Aligned - text is aligned to the dimension line. Text will flip as necessary to stay oriented towards the top/left of the page.
Perpendicular - text is perpendicular to the dimension line. Text will flip as necessary to stay oriented towards the top/left of the page.

With a dimension that’s already vertical or horizontal, the “aligned” and “perpendicular” options are functionally the same as “horizontal” and “vertical”. Aligned and Perpendicular make more of a difference if the dimension itself is angled. To really see the effect of these settings, make a dimension and then rotate it slowly and watch how the text adapts to the different angles.

So, the short answer is that there’s no way to automatically orient the dimension text so that the top of the text points to the right or bottom of the page.