Can I fix a texture to worldspace scale?

Just learning the ropes here, hi to all!

I created the geometry for a single 4x8 sheet of 3/4 plywood and applied a precise 4x8 texture to the flat sides, along with a 3/4 x 48 edge texture to the short sides and a 3/4x96 texture to the long sides. Sat back with coffee in hand, smug smile, feeling like a 3D god. :wink:

My brush with diety was short-lived. If I scale the long dimension of that panel down to create a 4x4 panel (essentially ‘sawing the full panel in half’) my woodgrain compresses by 50% along the axis of deformation.

I’ve since read thru this forum and watched several tutorials and see that I can go in using the four color texture pins to correct texture scale manually, but it seems redundant to do so for each flat side on every adjustment in a model that will have numerous plywood pieces.

Can I create my first “master” panel and set the texture scale to a fixed worldspace so that when duplicate the panel and scale its geometry down from the full 4x8 dimensions, the texture remains unchanged - invisibly “overhanging” the edges rather than scaling with the geometry? Or is the trick to simply apply textures fresh to new ‘unpainted’ geometry for each new panel and count on the scaling to take place there?

My goal is to retain consistent grain scale across multiple plywood panels. Thanks for any advice.

If you scale a face that has a fixed size texture, it will scale the texture. But, if you move the end of the face, it will reveal less of the texture instead.

1 Like

Using the scale tool is not “sawing the full panel”. As the Scale name suggests it’s squeezing the panel into 4’ or stretching it out to 10’. When the scale tool modifies an object it creates a scale version of the original, so the full texture is modified accordingly to the new scale of the object.

It’s a question of using the correct tool for the job. Here are three versions that accomplish what you are talking about. Using the move tool to move an end surface by a given distance, or by push/pull an end, or by drawing a line (or several lines) and push/pulling the unwanted portion of material of the surface to 0".

OK, you guys are AWESOME!! That does it perfectly. And with video illustration goodness to boot!! Many thanks!!! The line trick really works with the way I’m approaching this as it really is cutting parts from a whole.

1 Like

A question for you: Will creating a “master panel” component to use in your model save you any work?

Consider that you will spend time placing the component, making it unique, updating the name and so on. I’ve found it much more efficient to model things like plywood panels in place where they need to be in the project. It requires less data input on my end since after the placement of the first few components, everything else only needs to be modeled to fit. No need to know most of the dimensions in order to model the parts. SketchUp tells me what they are when I’m ready for them.

I would suggest that you do at least most of your modeling work without textures displayed. This will improve performance from your graphics card and help you keep tabs on reversed faces should they appear.