Camera refuses to stay on 2 point perspective

This only started happening today in a particular file. I had been working on a different file for weeks and weeks and NEVER had this happen. Now, I am to the point where I cannot even navigate around in my model. Not with the Look Around, not with Orbit or Pan. Each and every time I go to the Camera menu and select (and re-select) “Two point perspective” it only stays until I use the next tool - any tool whatsoever - if I paint a material, draw a line, even just activating the move tool or any of the thousands of things you do without even thinking, I find myself unable to pan & orbit normally, and a quick check in the Camera menu and sure enough, it’s back to “Perspective.”

What is happening??? Has anybody else had this happen? Did this get downloaded with something from the 3D warehouse? This is insane. I cannot work like this. What did I do??? :sob:

1 Like

you are the first person I have ever come across that says they ‘model’ in 2 point perspective…

I’m not even sure it has ever been possible, as it disappears as soon as you orbit…

john

What you are experiencing is normal behavior for 2-Point Perspective. It is expected that orbiting the camera will make it drop out of 2-Point Perspective and go to normal Perspective. That’s intended as a display setting, not a modeling setting.

Well, to be honest, maybe that’s not the problem. Maybe something else is happening, but that perspective setting is what I noticed, because I’ve never had to mess with it before. I cannot get inside my model and look around, any attempt to zoom in/out takes me inside walls & furniture or into outer space. I have no control any more, to just get inside and look around! I can’t figure out why!??

In SketchUp, “two point perspective” refers to the special case of the camera pointing exactly horizontally, that is, perpendicular to the z axis. That orientation eliminates convergence of edges parallel to z, leaving only two points of convergence. Any camera motion except pan violates that camera alignment, and drops back to full perspective.

I wonder if you got a bit of geometry far away from the rest of the model, or maybe the whole model is far from the origin. Those situations can cause the camera to be very unstable.

It sounds like you are seeing clipping. Do a search for clipping on the forum. There’s lots written about it already.

You know, maybe… that has happened before from things I’ve gotten from the 3D warehouse. Some people are psychotic with scale, or extremely careless about cleaning up their models before uploading them. In fact, the sofas I have in there now, were the size of a city block when I first got them!

Clipping? OK, I’ll look into it.

It sounds like you are seeing clipping. Do a search for clipping on the forum. There’s lots written about it already.

OK, now that I know what clipping is, that was also happening earlier today, but I changed the field of view and mostly got that taken care of, but still wondered why that started happening with this file and never, ever happened before with my other file. And trust me when I say, I pushed the limit on how close I could zoom in and NEVER had clipping happen! I regularly zoomed into where a 1/8" section of line took up the entire screen of my laptop, I’m not joking!

So, the weird thing is, why would these settings arbitrarily change from one file to the next?

FWIW, I followed the troubleshooting steps I found in my clipping search, and now I can zoom, orbit, etc., just like I’m accustomed, so thanks again for your help! :smiley: