Bug when using the enscape lighting objects

my file is shutting down with the “Bug notification” whenever i use the enscape lighting object… is anyone facing the same problem? or could anyone help with it? @colin

hi,
did you send the bugsplat reports? so Colin can have a look at them ?

did you try uninstalling / re installing enscape properly ?

yes i did

Are you using Scan Essentials at all? If you’re not, could you try disabling that and see if you get less crashing?

1 Like

thanks, i think it worked.

Hi,colin

I have a same problem.
I make Scan Essentials disabling.
however nothing is changed.

I did uninstall and Re install SU and enscape both.

please help me.Thank you.

Are you using SketchUp 2024? I see a crash on Mac when placing lights.

1 Like

thanks for getting back to me , #colin

I use 24.I guess 24=enscape have bad chemistry.
uninstalling 24 and re installing 23,but nothing be better.

do you have any idea about this?

sketchup 23,24
windows 11 home,
RTX4090,128GB

I didn’t yet try the latest Enscape with SketchUp 2023. I will try that tomorrow. If I get the same problem that would suggest the issue is with the latest Enscape version. Are you able to try older versions of their plugin?

1 Like

thank you colin.
I tried some combinations.

23SU-Enscape3.5.6
24SU-Enscape4.0.1.48

and I found that past SU file with enscape lighting object is able to be opened and operated. I can set new lights with no crush.

Does this notice relate something about this case?
“Enscape is waiting for a response from the SketchUp API.”

thank you very much.

now I find and get tips.
Sketchup Crashes After Using Enscape assets - Error | Bug Reports & License Problems - Enscape (enscape3d.com)

Thanks, that does make it seem related to another Enscape issue, that happens to crash the entire macOS. The lighting crash is only affecting SketchUp. Hopefully both issues will get fixed with the same change in SketchUp.

1 Like

I did find the crash happens on Windows as well, so not quite like the Mac M3 specific crashes.

1 Like

Hi,colin.
Thank you very much.
I read the guide below,and I will wait for bug fix and official comment.

At this time I can prevent from crashing.

As a potential workaround, please only place lights in nested groups or components and not directly in the Sketchup view port. If the light object is placed inside an existing object, it is more likely to avoid conflicts.

Thank you very much.
SketchUp make my project as a wonderful one.

It still crashes for me if I place a light inside an object.

1 Like

[quote=“t.kaneko, post:13, topic:254565”]
As a potential workaround, please only place lights in nested groups or components and not directly in the Sketchup view port. If the light object is placed inside an existing object, it is more likely to avoid conflicts.
[/quote]
Works for me… but one really does have to have to have opened up the Enscape render viewport first, if you try to insert a light, even in a nested group/component without firing up the render window, it does crash

1 Like

Hello Colin, I’m using a new MacBook Pro M3 Max with Sketchup version 24.0.554 and Enscape version 4.0.1… I’m having the same issue with not being able to add light to objects on sketchup… it craches as soon as I try. Can you help me with this?
I tried finding Scan Essentials to disable it but I can’t find it.

Thank you in advance!

You might like to try the preview version of Enscape

I’ve been using the windows version all day & added lights etc & it didn’t crash once…

The Mac crashes are still happening in the Preview version. I didn’t yet try the same steps in the preview version on Windows. There are work arounds people have been using, on the lines of placing the light into an object, it’s possible paddyclown is working in a way that makes use of the work around.

I have been working with Enscape on these crashes. They have found something wrong on our side of things, that they may be able to work around, and something wrong on their side, that they can fix. As soon as there is a Preview version that doesn’t crash anymore, I will reply here with a link.

1 Like

Thank you!!!