Bug: Copy and paste text between Layout windows

Running SketchUp Pro 2017 V17.2.2555 64-bit in Windows 10.
Working with two or more file tabs open in layout.
Copying text from one file to another.
After two or three operations, the text boxes become unresponsive in all tabs.
Still able to navigate and save the files.
The only way to clear this error is to restart Layout.
Anyone else experienced this issue please?

I’ve had the same issue and have contacted support - still waiting for a response. Have you found a fix?

I haven’t found a fix.

Hi all-

Not sure how we missed this message the first time… I’ll have someone on the team take a look.

Thanks,
Marc

Thanks, I’ll let you know if I do.

Michael Morrish

Morrish Designs

1862 Pound Lane
Santa Cruz, CA 95062
831-295-0465

http://morrishdesigns.com

Facebook

Hi Jonathan,

I noticed that the layout pages I had trouble with were those that I had inserted excel tables to. When I copied and pasted the table to other sheets, the issue came with it. I found that if I inserted the table to each new sheet and did not copy any text boxes from the original sheet, the issue was limited to the initial sheet. That sheet wont crash all the time but I save after almost every new text box or line I add. Makes my left hand work more but it’s better than redoing all the work that’s lost with a crash. Thankfully, I’ve only lost what I’ve done in that session. Hope that helps you.

All the best,

Michael Morrish

Morrish Designs

1862 Pound Lane
Santa Cruz, CA 95062
831-295-0465

http://morrishdesigns.com

Facebook

So far I haven’t been able to reproduce this issue on my machine. Let’s make sure I have the right procedure:

1. Start 2 new files in LayOut
  2. Insert a table into one of them.
  3. Copy that table, switch to the other document, and paste.
  4. Copy the pasted table, switch back to the first document, and paste
  5. Repeat a bunch more times.
  6. Double-click on a text box to start editing it. If you’re unable to edit the text box, it means the bug has occurred.

Does that sound right?

Thanks,
Marc

Hi both,

(And thanks for looking into this Marc.)

This issue occurs for us when copying and pasting text between text boxes. For example, when we’re creating drawings of a suite of components or furniture items with similar details, materials, finishes, etc., it would generally be quicker for our workflow to copy and paste text in this way. Unfortunately, it becomes very time consuming (not to mention frustrating) having to restart Layout after every few operations.

The issue doesn’t seem to be limited only to the host or destination files - it relates to both. I don’t think we’ve experienced a complete crash - just unresponsiveness in text boxes.

Kind regards,

Jonathan

Sorry for the delay, I was out of town for a few days.

When you say “copying and pasting text between text boxes” - you mean you’re double-clicking on the text box to enter the text editor, selecting some text, and then double-clicking on another text box and pasting the text? I’ll do some investigation in that area.

Thanks again,
M

Hi jrk-

For some reasons I can’t share right now, a response before 9am tomorrow would be very, very helpful to getting this bug fixed sooner rather than later.

I think I might have found the underlying issue in our code. I think it’s triggered by changing documents when there’s an active text editor. However, I still haven’t been able to reproduce the unresponsiveness that you describe.

Since you can reproduce this issue, can you try to reproduce it again with the following change? Before switching documents, press “escape” to close the current text editor, then switch to the other document. (You could also click outside of the current text box - the important thing is that the editor exits before the document switch) If you can confirm whether or not the problem happens if you exit the editor before switching documents, it will be very helpful.

Thanks,
Marc

Hi Marc, I began experiencing the same lockout from text boxes about 5 days ago or so. I have learned that I do not need to close Layout, but just need to close the open files within Layout, and then re-open. Here is another variable: my lockout this afternoon occurred with two files without Excel links. I will modify my procedures starting tomorrow per comments above and track what happens. Thanks.

Hi Marc,

That’s it in a nutshell. I’ve tried various methods of selecting text but they all lead to the same issue.

Many thanks,

J

Hi Marc, over the past few days so far no issues with lockout after now making sure we exit a text box (by mouse click or esc key) before moving to a different file and pasting.

Hi Marc,
We’re not working a drawing package just now, so I can’t check the fix you’ve suggested. Good to hear Lindsey hasn’t had any issues using it. We will try it out when we get onto our next batch of drawing production.
Many thanks,
Jonathan

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.