Best way to rotate object parallel to the canvas (picture plane) in matched photo scene

Hi, guys! I’ve got a matched photo scene where is the captured object rotated in some angle to the picture plane (canvas). And I want to place my 3d object exactly parallel to the picture plane. So what’s the best way to do this? Look my screenshot.

Your object is clearly perfectly in line with the axes. That angle isn’t the result of rotation, it’s a result of perspective in the camera and the original photo.

Thanks for the reply. I know my 3d object aligned to the current perspective matched photo axes. but as I said I need to rotate my 3d object not in the same angle to the viewer as the real object for now but perfectly parallel to the picture plane. Look again what I mean. The result is must be like here. I did it visually but what is the best way to get to know in what angle to rotate to get a clear result.

Screenshot_5

I don’t think there’s a way to get the exact angle you’d require to rotate it so that it’s facing the camera perfectly, so I would suggest just using the rotate tool and do it by eye.

probably the best way is to use advanced camera tools, so that created camera has axis I need to align objects to be parallel to the picture plane.

open group if it’s grouped, right click on face and select “align view”

After watching @TheOnlyAaron’s presentation of Face Me figures, I figured out how to make my photo gray test card always face the camera with a nested, two axis Face Me component.

Looks like this:

3 Likes

sure, your variant is better :wink:

Explode it twice (because it’s two nested Face Me components) and it stays aligned to where the camera was. I was playing with this in part because, in photography, I use something called a WhiBal card and process in Lightroom, and they tell you to point the card at the camera. I was also thinking about this for creating “Matte Shots” directly in SU instead of relying on assembly in Photoshop.

1 Like

I was wondering about Advance Camera Tools too, but I still haven’t quite mastered them and haven’t tried that solution.

1 Like

exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!)

1 Like

So the trick is that the inner Face Me component has it’s Red axis down, Blue axis right and Green axis back, or in a sense, turned on it’s side compared to normal Face Me components.