Best way to manage walls in a floor plan

I am some place between novice and intermediate in terms of sketchup usage. I am drawing a floor plan of my house in sketchup and was looking for input or best practices for how to manage the walls. Here are the relevant points:

• I want it to be as easy as possible to move walls around as we make design changes
  • I want it to look like a typical architectural drawing where the walls meet (no line across the “T”)

I have been playing with a few options:

• If I just make all the walls one big object then I get basically the behavior I am looking for. I can select the wall elements I want to move, move them and the break in the stationary wall follows it.

• However, having all the walls one big object is not ideal. At the very least you might want to separate the exterior walls from the interior walls since they are definitely different (thicker, heavier insulated, etc), but you might want to separate it for other reasons as well.

Anybody work with floor plans regularly that could tell me what they do?
Ideas for something else to do?
Is there any way to have separate objects and have the gap in the other object follow it?

I appreciate any input.

Bill

You could just hide the extra edge displaying between two touching or crossing component or grouped rectangles - I’d use components, myself.

However, I don’t actually do this regularly, so am speaking from a theoretical rather than experienced base.

I often draw the exterior walls in one big group an the interior ones in another big group. It’s not ideal but at least I get rid of the T-line thing between internal walls. Exterior walls are often built of other materials than the internal ones and then it often makes sense to have a line between them and the internal walls.