Backing out of a scene change

Open the most complex model you have. Spend 1/2 an hour doing weird things like hiding objects, setting x-ray mode, set the shadows on, set parallel projection on, etc. Then save it to a scene and call it “Screw me up” and set the scene to save every possible option. Now undo all of the above and continue building the model for a month. Now, accidently click on that scene. How on earth can you back out of that mess? Am I missing something?

Is that the only scene you’ve created?

What version of SketchUp are you using? Knowing that would make it possible to give you some direction on how to fix it.

Hi DaveR,

I don’t think I explained it well enough. The point is that you can’t hit undo after you’ve clicked on a scene (any scene no matter how many you have). Clicking on the wrong scene can be a 15 minute mistake in a complex model. Whatever the scene’s viewing properties are, you are stuck with them as soon as you activate the scene.

I think what I will do is always keep a “Current” scene as the first scene in my tabs that I can update just before I ever invoke another scene. Then I can click any scene and get back to where I was by using my manual undo-scene “Current”.

Many of us have a few “working” scenes in varying degrees of “complexity”.
I typically have at least (3) scenes just for working with the model in a simple/fast style without sun/shadow. I would further describe the (3) working scenes as very light/light/medium.
It is quick/efficient way to model and I often adjust visibility of tagged items in all three scenes as the model progresses in complexity…hopefully I understood you’re question.

1 Like

Hi Charlie,

Thanks. It seems like there should be a undo-scene, but I think what you are outlining is a good approach. I just never thought that way until I got burned a couple of times recently. But, the one thing that does not answer is hidden geometry or hidden tags. Both can be part of a scene and recalling a different scene will not unhide them. I’ve got that right, no?

No sure I follow what it is feature wise you are asking here.
If you mean some kind of “escape” to remain in a current scene, or something else?
I sometimes run through scenes using page up or page down…maybe this would interrupt an unintended scene selection?

Re: hidden geometry
This is a style setting that can be saved as one of your “working scenes”
Re: Hidden tags
I assume you just mean tags that are toggled “off”, as you know their status is scene specific.
I sometimes have a scene named “working all” that all tags are visible. (“on”)
Now if your model is so heavy that when “all” is displayed it Boggs down than either lightening the model by its contents complexity or managing visibility of heavy parts of it may be required…as is often requested here…post a model for the community to review to better advise…if you cannot…there are a number of posts on how to make models more efficient/lighter…less demanding.

Good idea. I always have some very quick scenes, no profiles, shadows, trees etc. for modeling and they are good to fall back on for navigating too, befoer choosing a “heavy” scene.

I know where you are coming from - accidently saving a scene that you didn’t want to and screwing up the viewport in Layout… and not realising until you updated Layout… as others have mentioned most have a working scene and / or earlier versions of their files that minimise the risk… so it is a relatively rare problem , but yes an “undo scene save” option would be helpful…

There are some scene manager extensions that may allow copying scene settings across files…so you could recover the settings from an earlier save…

I see where I am probably different than most other users. I don’t use Layout (I need to learn but it has frustrated me more than once) and so I don’t often need scenes. I use scenes to customize a view of something I want to show someone. Very often my scenes are somewhat radical in nature, hiding a lot of pieces and using a lot of temporary section planes. If I leave a scene sitting up there on my tab bar and then activate it by mistake after I’ve completely forgotten what it was ever intended for, I’ve got a mess to clean up.

Consider it like setting up a scene for yourself
“Ill doers are ill deemers” the saying goes😀

Some tips to help recover faster.

Make yourself a default template with a few scenes in it. A working scene, maybe a simple monochrome scene and while you are at is some parallel projection standard views, top, front and right or left. Make this template your default so every file you create has these scenes already in them. Add scenes to these but always workin in your working scene. Here is a simple version as an example…

Template.skp (100.6 KB)

You can always go to Edit>Unhide>All without effecting any saved scene.

In the Tags window you can drag to select all tags or simply click once and the window and hit “CTRL A” (comnd A on MAC) to select every tag. With all the tags selected, clicking once to restore visibility to any tag will bring them all back simultaneously.

You may find the scene tray set to display thumbnails useful as a reminder what each scene displays…idk…just a thought.

Every time I read one of these types of posts where someone is complaining about SketchUp, I wonder if they stop and realize there are tens of thousands (maybe millions) of people using SketchUp successfully. I use SketchUp daily for my business without any issues. This type of thing will always be user error and usually related to your work flow. If you keep having bad things happen, change your habits and study what you are doing wrong and what works. Then learn from that and move on. One habit to get into is saving your work often. Also, do not over complicate your models. No one is going to be impressed with overly complicated drawings or models. You are only creating headaches for everyone else who has to work with them. If you have complex projects, break them up into manageable models and then reference them into Layout. Again, workflow is the key.

Remember, the art is what is built from the model, not your model.

1 Like

I know this may not be popular, but I use git for pretty much everything (software, Sketchup, you name it). The advantages are numerous:

o Saving things periodically allows you to EASILY back out of major foulups
o You don’t have to depend on the UNDO — this is where many people lose work
o You can grab parts of the model you deleted and reintegrate it
o There is no such thing as “I can’t hit undo” — the mistake, IMHO, is DEPENDING on undo (what if your system crashed or power went out?)

This is just my workflow. How you do things is up to you, but I have found using git saves me time, effort and frustration (also suggest Gitkraken for noobs — so much easier than command line).

** edited for language