Artisan 2 has arrived

Just substitute the word rent for subscription and it all makes sense. When software matures its tempting for users to stay with last years version rather than pay to renew, which is fine for them but not for the software companies.

Subscriptions help keep software companies afloat which has to be a good thing.

3 Likes

Not an AI - Bonnie is a gem and not only has a clear pleasant speaking voice, she actually knows SketchUp and has taught many to use it. She preps the tutorial scripts herself with only minimal oversight. Pretty impressive for such complex plugins like Artisan 2 and Profile Builder 3!

10 Likes

These titles, since the onset of windows 3.1 were never rented and companies thrived all the while by making new or improved versions that consumers wanted or needed and were willing to pay for upgrade or a completely new piece of software that was vastly improved.

In actuality the subscription model leads to complacency due to a perceived customer base many of whom are held there captively paying for improvements that are of no use to them. They could easily pass on three or four upgrades to then pay for a major upgrade (covering all the skipped) when they actually have a need.

This notion that software companies are not able to innovate without constant inflow of subscription dollars is completely contradictory to capitalism. Make a product people want to pay for and yoh dont need subscriptions because they will keep coming back willingly.

The even worse scenario is the underhanded tactics going on right now of actively working to starve out those unwilling to subscribe and running classic licenses that were paid for (and dearly i might add) fair and square.

I never rented my software. I met all the agreements on my end and paid for it fair and squars.

2 Likes

I understand where you’re coming from but the bottom line is that you can only innovate so far. SketchUp is now a mature product and it would take a lot for perpetual licence holders to pay for an upgrade. If you take a step back you can see it from both points of view - subscribers don’t want to pay more than they have to and software companies need income. Personally I think the subscription is cheap as chips for what the software can do, and if it keeps the company going then its all good by me.

On a different note I am not sure what you mean by “starve out those unwilling to subscribe and running classic licenses that were paid for (and dearly i might add) fair and square.” I thought perpetual licenses were just that (perpetual) but obviously I may be mistaken.

I did those videos - so nice to hear you like them! I’m definitely not AI, though someday it’ll replace me I’m sure :slight_smile:

10 Likes

I have had Artisan 1 for several years. I wasn’t able to figure it out and I never went back to it.
Does anyone know of a good tutorial?

Congrats, Dale! This is looking amazing.
Looking forward to diving into it soon!

1 Like

Great! Back to feeling threatened, again!!

Artisan2 is a whirlwind of emotions!

3 Likes

I THOUGHT it was Bonnie - she’s great for sure! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Dale,

I don’t think I’d be a costumer, because the kind of modelling these tools allow, are not what I’m into, however I just wanted to congratulate you! Artisan 2 looks incredible, powerful and intuitive. Whaat a great plugin!

Best of luck!

2 Likes

You can actually do this (flatten to a desired slope) with the Artisan 1 flatten tool. Just draw or modify one face to the desired slope/direction and use the flatten tool: first hover over that face, then click and drag (without holding shift) and it will reference the original face and plane all vertices to it. If you hold the shift key it will flatten everything to the Z axis

3 Likes

I agree about the Narrator (Bonnie R) and the tips shown during the video. … really the best!

I do wish the pace of the speech was a bit slower and there were some longer pauses between changes of tool descriptions and options for a tool.

1 Like

Click the gear icon on the YouTube playback window there is an option to change playback speed

Hey @Whaat,
I’ve upgraded to Artisan 2 and am struggling with the Knife Subdivide tool. It doesn’t seem to be doing anything. It allows me to go through the motions like the in Artisan 1, but it does not create any slice in my geometry as I would expect…? Does it work differently than in Artisan 1?

Yes. Everyone motivates the subscription with the possibility of development etc. But we must not forget that in many cases there is one man behind this “company and development department”. And it can happen that suddenly there is no company anymore, there are no updates and our subscription expires… Recently I wanted to buy the 3D Tree Maker plug-in. And unfortunately, the developer’s website does not work, only the demo version is available, some people bought the full version and did not get serial numbers. Unfortunately, it seems that the programmer either gave up this way of development or unfortunately got sick, died. And Sketchup extensions are 90% or more such small one-person businesses,

I also have several Plugs from this stable. Artisan 1, PB3, DC, BT2 and several free. But for version 2, unfortunately, I did not decide just because of the subscription.

Hi guidepro - please see here for instructions on using the Artisan 2 knife tool.

We did make some changes but I am surprised it is not cutting for you. Make sure your faces are pointing outwards (or hold ALT to cut through back-faces). If you need further support, please submit a request at our help desk.

1 Like

It is seemingly back to full function… Weird… Thanks for the response!

The same for me, I bought artisan 1 and it’s a great plugin, I would’ve bought Artisan 2 even at a higher price of it was a permanent license just like the 1st version, ThomThom’s vertex tools, subD and quadface tools are a better option for me right now, I just hope he doesn’t adopt this subscription model of business.

We all must thank Adobe, they started this trend, that’s why I use open source software instead of they’re programs, Inkscape, gimp and Krita the last couple of months, are more than enough for my needs.

I have kept my pre-subscription Adobe suite. I don’t think I have missed anything important.

I don’t think there have been added major features that make it worth it to get a subscription. I wouldn’t get a subscription even if i used the program with the frequency I use Sketchup, everyday, there are free or cheaper alternatives that can do the same like affinity photo and the open source programs I mentioned before, I keep my Sketchup subscription because there isn’t a program that has the same features as SketchUp has, specially Layout, and the cost-benefit is completely worth it.