Apple Pencil as a mouse for Sketchup Web on iPad?

Although Sketchup for Web is definitely a more satisfying experience on a desktop or laptop machine, I have often found myself in situations lately where I want to do some modeling but all I have I’d my 12.9” iPad Pro. When I first tried using it, it was frustrating/disappointing because while you can select tools from the toolbar, you can’t actually do anything with them. You can pinch to zoom in/out but you can’t pan, orbit, draw a rectangle, push/pull, etc. I read somewhere (I think in this community forum) that a Bluetooth mouse could be paired with a iPad Pro and then all those things would work. So I grabbed a Bluetooth mouse and tried it. Yep, it worked. But carrying around my iPad, a Bluetooth keyboard, and a Bluetooth mouse is a little bulky and cumbersome, so I got a nifty folding Bluetooth keyboard that has a trackpad built in. While it’s nice and small when folded, it’s still 2 things I have to carry around.

If an Apple Pencil gives me the capabilities of a Bluetooth mouse — dragging to orbit, draw, bring up the right-click menu, etc. I’d buy one in an instant. I may buy one anyway just to test it, but before I do, I thought I’d check here to see if anyone knows.

You might want to get involved in this

2 Likes

A buddy of mine has an iPad Pro and an Apple Pencil. He’s going to test this over the weekend. (I sent him detailed instructions.) I’ll report back here with his findings.