Anyone got a trial key for SketchUp Pro 2016?

I guess you missed the next sentence where I said:

but here it is:

I also assumed that’s where rbz files went too if you couldn’t do this method:

Which I couldn’t since there was no extension option in the preferences on the left:

PS - ■■■■(Wait why is d-a-m-n censored?), I like this forum style - very user friendly I can copy and paste images without needing to jump through hoops uploading it manually or externally and then pasting the link, seeing replies posted (or in the process) in realtime and be able to just click and highlight a text and quote it just like that into the reply without doing anything extra! :ok_hand:t2: :+1:t2:

Not sure where you got that from but it is flat out wrong. It has never been appropriate to install extensions in the Tools folder, whether during download or by moving them there later. Nor has this changed between current and older versions. That folder is for Tools that are distributed as part of the SketchUp distribution, not for user-installed extensions or plugins. Download to your normal browser download folder. If the download is a .rbz, install it using the extension manager without copying anything anywhere - the manager dows that for you and knows the right destination. If the download is a raw .rb the plugin is most likely quite old and not properly supported by its author, since .rbz has been the standard since late SketchUp 8 when the extension manager was added.

https://sketchupfiles.com/2-effective-ways-to-install-sketchup-plugins-and-extensions/

Hm, looks like SP Gears doesn’t make gears that automatically scale with the number of teeth you specify them to… so my 10 teeth cog looks like it won’t even mesh with the 30 teeth one I have here:

That is not an official SketchUp site but something obscure.

1 Like

That isn’t an official site and I think this is the most appropriate part of their terms and conditions.
Terms

2 Likes

It came from a google result. Where else am I suppose to find out how to install plugins?

Whoa, where that come from? That wasn’t on the page nor did it have a disclaimer of that on the page…

from the official SketchUp Help Center?

I got it from your link. Part of the Terms.
The disclaimer on the page actually says this

Disclaimers for www.sketchupfiles.com:

All the information on this website is published in good faith and for general information purpose only. www.sketchupfiles.com does not make any warranties about the completeness, reliability and accuracy of this information.

Ok fair enough I found it: Adding Extensions to SketchUp | SketchUp Help but i didn’t think they would have it and thought it was “Go google it up you lazy b-a-s-t-a-r-d!” kind of deal and yeah. But that page doesn’t mention rb files though…or what to do with them or any mentions that that was an old format resulting from a lazy developer or for older versions of the program, which is where I was gonna google for it anyways…

ok fair enough, I guess I missed that then… :innocent: Since I was really only interested in the contents of the page and didn’t think to click on the terms or the disclaimer or even see it.

I’m only making the point that you need to be selective when you use search on the internet. There is an awful lot of garbage out there.

ok, I guess case solved then since you can’t buy a license anymore nor there appears to be a trial license I can add to the 2016 version of the program and Anton is still working on an update to that plugin to get it working on 2021… Does he have a forum account on here that I could private message him with to see what’s going on and to ask about the SketchyPhysics plugin and what happened to that while I’m at it?

I guess that’s why forums like these exist. To be fed the non-garbage parts of the internet! :slightly_smiling_face: :+1:t2:

Having to remind that this here is an user forum and each member is sort of free to express their opinions as are others to correct them.

Ok, little update guys, I downgraded(or upgraded depending which perspective you came from) to the 2017 version:

which I downloaded from the official site here: Downloading older versions | SketchUp Help and AMS Library and MSPhysics (Both by Anton) works along with the complete SP Gears plugin (which is by LE_GALL)!

Shame the gear making plugin doesn’t automatically scale with the number of teeth you put in so that they would mesh correctly with an equivalent gear of the same pitch and diameter so you would have to manually calculate the equivalent and then input that into the fields to make it. Who even is maintaining the SP Gear addon? Oh right that guy but he seems to have been dead after that one post confused as to where to post his updated version… I guess I’ll go ping him and see if he replies back…

Anyways, thanks for answering!

Hello abba.
What can I do for you?

yep, as always, help yourself, then god will help you… :kissing_smiling_eyes:

HI!

See my reply here: Introducing my plugin - #16 by abba

You prefer I be spoon fed here? If so I can be as lazy as a sloth and let you guys do the running around for me answering questions that can simply be answered in a few seconds by a simple google search…which may or may not be the correct answer as I’ve now learnt… :innocent: Wouldn’t mind seeing god at this point! Hahaha :laughing:

1 Like