Any way to Speed Up LayOut?

Hi There!

Is there anyway to speed up the response time of Layout?
Simple zooming in and out, and clicking on elements to edit them takes a notable amount of time.
…enough extra time that I don’t feel I can charge my standard billable rate because the waiting time is adding up.

Any thoughts on this subject greatly appreciated!!

thanks!

1 Like

Typically what I have noticed is the Raster Viewports slow down LayOut considerably. Since I utilize a stacked viewport approach with a Vector Viewport on top of a Raster Viewport, you can assign both a layer, turn off the Raster Viewport and find the responsiveness much better.

That being said, I think we all wish that LayOut could be a zippy and easy to navigate as SketchUp.

Good luck!

Thanks kyeric! Thanks fer the tip… i switched everything to vector while i am working for now. Not a huge differences but (unfortunately) every second helps! thanks for the reply…

Open to any other ideas out there! thanks so much,

It sounds like you haven’t been using LayOut for very long. You should have used it in the LO3 days. In those days I would switch a viewport from Raster to Vector and have time to go eat a meal. Now I don’t have time to pour a cup of coffee and the coffee maker is right next to my desk.

LayOut is much faster now than it used to be. And perhaps there are things you can do to speed it up even more. Most people don’t optimize their setup as much as they could.

1 Like

Thanks Dave. Any recommendations for detailed tips of optimizing my setup? I would be most happy to dig into that.

more horsepower (CPU; single-thread performance).

In addition to more horsepower, you can do other things that help to speed up your work in LO.

Start in SketchUp first. Make sure you are using layers (properly) to control the visibility of entities in the scenes you create for the viewports. Turn off layers for entities that aren’t visible in the scene anyway.

If you want to use sketchy or other styles, don’t apply them initially. Use a fast style to start with . These are identified by a little green clock icon on their thumbnails. After you have your viewports positioned and the model is set, change the style for the scenes in SketchUp and update the reference in LayOut.

Don’t display materials while working. The slow down the rendering.

Purge unused stuff from your SketchUp file and keep it clean.

In LayOut, make sure you are keeping the viewports connected to the scenes. Don’t allow them to become modified.

Make sure you a single reference listed to each SketchUp file you use. This means no dragging and dropping from SketchUp to LayOut.

Usually plain old raster rendering is faster but Vector rendering doesn’t show textures so it might be better for you. Change the rendering style to Hybrid toward the end if you need to show textures (but not sketchy edges)

There are some other things you can do but these should get you started.

3 Likes

HI Dave. This was very helpful. What are the “other things” you were talking about?

If you’re experiencing bad performance with raster rendered viewports, try this: go into Document Setup → Paper and set the “Display Resolution” to “low”. This will reduce the DPI used for raster rendering, which saves a significant amount of memory. The downside is that when you export or print your LayOut document, the export will take a little more time than usual because LayOut will re-render the viewports to the full “output” resolution.

How much memory does your machine have?

If you have a specific file that’s slow, I’d be happy to take a look to see if it’s something that we can fix in LayOut. Some operations just naturally take a certain amount of time, but it’s also possible that there’s a bug in our application.

thanks,
Marc

1 Like

Hi Mark. My specs are here;

I only ever document in vectors and occasionally hybrid. It really slows down doing pages of internal elevations with 20 or so viewports on the screen at once. It just chugs. My solution is to split all the viewports up over multiple pages during documentation and then putting them all on the one drawing for the final output.

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.