What can I do to my computer to make layout faster?

What can I do to my computer to make layout faster?

OS Name|Microsoft Windows 10 Pro|
|Version|10.0.17134 Build 17134|
|Other OS Description |Not Available|
|OS Manufacturer|Microsoft Corporation|
|System Name|DESKTOP-K41RE28|
|System Manufacturer|Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.|
|System Model|B360M-HD3|
|System Type|x64-based PC|
|System SKU|Default string|
|Processor|Intel(R) Core™ i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz, 3192 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s)|
|BIOS Version/Date|American Megatrends Inc. F4, 19/04/2018|
|SMBIOS Version|3.1|
|Embedded Controller Version|255.255|
|BIOS Mode|UEFI|
|BaseBoard Manufacturer|Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.|
|BaseBoard Model|Not Available|
|BaseBoard Name|Base Board|
|Platform Role|Desktop|
|Secure Boot State|Off|
|PCR7 Configuration|Binding Not Possible|
|Windows Directory|C:\Windows|
|System Directory|C:\Windows\system32|
|Boot Device|\Device\HarddiskVolume2|
|Locale|United States|
|Hardware Abstraction Layer|Version = “10.0.17134.765”|
|User Name|DESKTOP-K41RE28\Owner|
|Time Zone|E. Australia Standard Time|
|Installed Physical Memory (RAM)|16.0 GB|
|Total Physical Memory|15.9 GB|
|Available Physical Memory|11.9 GB|
|Total Virtual Memory|18.3 GB|
|Available Virtual Memory|12.2 GB|
|Page File Space|2.38 GB|
|Page File|C:\pagefile.sys|
|Kernel DMA Protection|Off|
|Virtualization-based security|Not enabled|
|Device Encryption Support|Reasons for failed automatic device encryption: TPM is not usable, PCR7 binding is not supported, Hardware Security Test Interface failed and device is not InstantGo, Un-allowed DMA capable bus/device(s) detected, TPM is not usable|
|Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions|Yes|
|Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions|Yes|
|Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware|Yes|
|Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection|Yes|

I’m not sure you need to do anything to your hardware to make it faster. Make sure SketchUp and LayOut are using the Nvidia graphics and not the integrated Intel graphics.

Probably most of the performance increase that you could expect will come from improvements in your SketchUp modeling (sleeker, more efficient models can help. No excessively large texture images or excess detail.) and using a good workflow in LO. (Use scenes created in SketchUp for viewports in LayOut. Don’t modify scenes in LO, leave viewports set for Raster rendering while you are working on the project, disable automatic rendering of viewports. Although you might be using Textures in your SketchUp models, leave the face style set to Monochrome or Hidden Line style while working in LO. Change the face style for the scenes in SU, update the reference, and re-render the viewports just before exporting. Some high end power users split large projects logically into separate files so they don’t have the entire project open all at once.

I’ve found that LayOut 2019 performs better and faster with the same files than LO2018. Maybe you should be updating.

1 Like

Do not try vector rendering the entire model - this is the number one cause of slow performance.

2 Likes

Thanks for your input guys, sorry for the delay in response.
Most of the work I do is for working drawings for trades on the shop floor so I generally lose all images before I start.
Details are pretty much what I use SU+LO for, I may have to produce 10 to 15 page documents, detailing work for cabinet makers and our CNC router, so vector drawing would be best for me, but unfortunately it slows me down too much.

Since posting this conversation, my employer has upgraded my power box and bought me a new graphics card. GEforce RTX 2060
I am not seeing much difference with LO.

I just think there is a sad, lack of communication between the two programs. And, just quietly, between us, I think LO is letting the side down.

1 Like

Much of what I use SketchUp and LayOut for is woodworking plans and cabinet construction documents. I generally always use Vector rendered viewports but I save rendering them in Vector until after I’ve got the majority of the work done. For most documents I use Hidden Line style in SketchUp so it’s just black linework on white in the document. Textures aren’t important at all for that stuff like it is for most of what Mr. Sonder does. If you are using textures on your models, you might consider if that worth the additional time you spend both in SketchUp and LayOut.

1 Like

I also noticed a pleasing performance improvement in
lo 2019… probably the biggest improvement for me in 2019

Windows 10, 16Gb mem, i7 CPU GTX 1070, Gigabyte P35Xv6

Today I am noticing how well LO is performing for me, and the main difference today is one of our team members is off…He uses a lot of high resolution pics for his work and so it turns out that the server we are using cant handle the pressure.
Thanks for all your input

1 Like

That’s interesting to know. Not something we would likely have guessed. Thanks for updating this.