Annual Version Updates

Something that I think is long overdue, is the ability for SketchUp to update its software without needing to do a fresh install.
Having to start fresh with setting up toolbars, extensions and render plugins is annoying.
I hope there is some plan to be able to update to a new version with a simple update.
Thanks.

Yes. That will be a nice feature. Of course before that can happen there will have to be a way to force extension authors to publish updated extensions before the SketchUp release since extensions often need to be updated when new versions of Ruby and/or SketchUp are released.

Yeah, I suppose that’s right.
Maybe it’s not possible when you have this sort of setup with third party contributors.
Thanks

Well, I think it could be possible but I would expect that many of the authors would start charging for their extensions and plugins when they haven’t been at this point.

Personally I kind of like the migration process because it gives me incentive to do some house cleaning. I get rid of extensions I don’t use and reduced the number of toolbars that I keep out around my work space. As for templates, materials, styles, and components, those are easy enough to migrate and only take a few seconds.

1 Like

I don’t know if it’s the good option to reply to this message, but the subject is still the same, so probably a better idea then posting a new topic.

I have the pop-up message to install the new version. And I’m scared of doing it.
Cause I don’t want to waste my time, downloading everything again, so I will do it maybe later when I have more free time.
Is the new version still a fresh installation ?

Thanks a lot

The new version of what? Your forum profile indicates you are using SketchUp for Schools which is web based and you open the latest version of it every time you open SketchUp. There’s no way to avoid that.