AMD and Open GL / Graphics Card Recommendations?

Me too. It would probably work fine for any program using OpenCL
I bet you could replace it with a $50 card. There is a large premium on those cards because of the “business” applications.
If you are motivated you could probably sell it on eBay -or maybe get the seller to exchange?

I have never used nVidia but I think they probably are edging out AMD

Did you also try disabling fast feedback in SU OpenGL preferences? Most modeling can be done just fine without it. It kicks in when models get large.

Did you install any plugins/extensions? Some of those can cause SU to crash. This has to be ruled out before blaming everything on the GPU. If the underlying problem is from a plugin, then getting another graphics card will not fix the crashing problem.

The funny thing is you can go to any computer store and buy the cheapest computer and it’ll work like a beauty.
I’ve come across this before yet it turned out the expensive graphics card was at fault.

The role of the graphics card in SketchUp is often overrated. It can very well do with a cheap card, provided its driver has the required OpenGL support.
Roughly speaking, the graphics card is used for raster-based functions like textures and shadows, while the number crunching required by the geometry (edges and faces) is performed by the CPU. As SketchUp is a single-threaded application (it uses only one of the processor cores) the real bottlenecks lie with the CPU. An ultra-fast CPU (high clock speed etc.) with a mediocre graphics card gives better performance than a lacklustre processor with an ultracool whizbang graphics card.
The idea with the “professional” cards is that their drivers are sometimes better than those of the “consumer” models, but usually a “gaming” card has more bang for the buck.

Anssi

2 Likes

So after lots of useless troubleshooting including with Pro support, one of
my monitors started showing only the green channel, and I got HP to
overnight me a new graphics card under warranty. So far it seems to have
solved the problems- so just wanted to put that in this thread in case
anyone else gets scared off of the system/GPU. The card itself is
recognized by SU and has not yet crashed, and the software is working
smoothly.

I also once had a graphics card failure - it started in a similar way, with SketchUp crashing, and ended with a black screen.

Anssi