Aligning Textures Using The Fixed Pins

A very common problem is precisely aligning a texture to a face. For example, I have the following photo of a wall that I want to “straighten” and apply to a rectangle:

In order to make it clearer for this tutorial, I’ve added a red outline of the particular area I want to use.

Starting with a simple rectangle, I import the image as a texture and apply it to the rectangle face. Selecting the rectangle, I right-click to select the Texture >> Position option. This causes the colored push pins to appear. Right-clicking again on the image, note that the Fixed Pins option is checked.

The next step is to move the pins to the corners of the red rectangle. In Fixed Pins mode, click once on a pin and then it will “float” with the cursor until you locate it and pin it to the new location with a second click. Do the same for the other three pins. For this part, the order is not important.

The final step is to click (hold) and drag the pins to the corners of the original rectangle. The order in which you do this is important. Starting with the red pin, click and drag it to the lower left corner of the rectangle. Next, do the same with the green pin and move it to the lower right corner. Then move the blue pin to the upper left corner of the rectangle. Finally, click and drag the yellow pin to the upper right corner. Click outside the rectangle to exit the position mode.

This YouTube video shows the steps outlined above.

5 Likes

The link shows my youtube cannel but not the video. :cry:

Sorry about that … for whatever reason, it won’t let me view the video except in “Edit” mode. The incorrect link I posted is based on that page. That’s never been a problem before. How weird.

I’ve updated the link to point to it correctly.

I really appreciate step by step images or videos.

My English is very poor and reading in HelpCenter scrolling text, made for mobiles or tablet, is hard work on a PC or Laptop. The translation is missunderstanding. Sometimes I think the HelpCenter is made for developers but not for users. Easy things are explained very complicated, examples sometimes missing.

For images you have to look close to see, and even more close to understand. Therefore it is international and has less translation errors.

For beginners it would be nice to have it according to the Qiuck Reference Card.

Videos I will repeat as long as necessary.

Thank you, good job.

Brilliant! This worked perfectly. Thanks very much.

This topic was automatically closed after 91 days. New replies are no longer allowed.