After group, scale, cannot push/pull an opening

when I change the size of a component, if it becomes bigger/longer, its blue frame seems good. But if it becomes smaller/shorter, why the blue frame keeps its original size? How to make the blue frame the same as its actual size?

Turn on Guides in the view menu. You’ll see you have at least one guideline inside the component. Use Edit>Delete Guides to get rid of the guidelines and the bounding boxes will reflect the size of the timber. Once they’ve done their job delete guides, don’t just hide them.

1 Like

Got it. After some cleaning up, it is better now:

I tried to rename the “Leg#1” and “Leg#2”. The Sketchup asks me to make them unique first. But the “make unique” was disabled somehow.

when we select one component, the Volume is shown in the Entity Info, why not show dimension sizes there as well when possible?

When change size of a component, we use push/pull tool. It is a wonderful way to resize component. But sometimes for some components, it may be also a good idea to allow user just type in dimension sizes, I think.

I expect you were trying to give them the same name and SketchUp was telling you the names need to be unique (read that “different”) because they are different definitions. It’s not the component that needs to be made unique, just the name. Use something like “Long leg” and “Short leg”.

That’s above my pay grade.

In some cases it might be appropriate to use the Scale tool and you can type the dimension if you wish. If you scale a component without opening it for editing you must remember to scale the definition, too. Keep in mind that the scale tool is not always appropriate because it will scale features that shouldn’t be changed.

1 Like

I was trying to rename it to a different name:

That is telling you the Definition–the words you type in the Definition field–must be unique. Apparent’ you have already use LegShorter. Look in the In Model Components for it.

1 Like

You are right! I found the same name in the list.

When we select a component in the Components list, is there a way to make the selected component is highlighted in model?

Right click on the thumbnail and choose Select instances.

select

1 Like

If I recall correctly, the Select Instances function on the Component Browser context menu will (only) select instances that are in the currently open scope or context of the model. If there are instances of the chosen component that are nested within (other) groups/components, the Select Instances function will not select them until you enter the parental group or component.

1 Like

You do recall correctly. It’s not an issue for OYG in this model, though.

1 Like

How can I easily rise lower side top about 10" and make higher size top lower to the same height as the new lower side? I tried your method shown on post #11. I couldn’t create a component correctly and the legs couldn’t be extended while the top lumber was moved up. ChickenCoop-v2b.skp (436.5 KB)

Another question is how to delete the unused component from the Components list? I was able to delete some of them before, but today the delete option is disabled.

probably because they are used somewhere in the model…

1 Like

First, you can shorten the tall legs by opening one of them for editing (double click on it with the Select tool) and then use Push/Pull to adjust the height. The top rail gets moved downward with the Move tool, then.
coop

As for the short legs, you can make them taller if you want but since they are separate components, you’ll need to edit each one individually.

Your model is getting to be a mess. Notice at the end of my GIF when I move the top rail group out away from the model how the bottom one on the opposite side comes with it. You also have a lot of reversed faces that need correcting and some loose geometry mixed in. You also seem to have a lot of dimensions that would be difficult to make in the shop. Do you really want dimensions in 64ths?

As for the unused components, purge them by clicking on the Details menu button on the right side of the Components panel and selecting Purge Unused.

1 Like

Here I’ve redrawn your model again. All of the parts are components with correct face orientation. I tried to clean up the dimensions to avoid the 64ths. The only component where that doesn’t work is the back of the nesting box because of the slop of the roof. Your last screen shot seems to indicate that you want the legs to be the same height so I’ve done that. If you need to make one pair taller, select that pair and make them unique. You can then edit them to change the height. I did have to make a few assumptions because things in your model aren’t clear. My apologies if it isn’t entirely correct.

ChickenCoop-v2dr.skp (209.7 KB)

2 Likes

Hi Dave,

Thank you for your model. I set the coop’s width to 45" then my utility trailer can carry it.

I was able to resize the top by changing these components one by one. I was trying to find a way to resize/move related components all at once.

if you have more than one component that needs to move the same distance in the same direction you can select them all and move them in one go. In this case it might be the top rails moving up or down but to change the lengths of the legs you’d need to edit them separately