Additional 'faces' when importing 3D models to Powerpoint

Hi. I’m experiences some issues with 3D models when importing into Powerpoint. A picture says a thousand words so here is 2000 words below…

Here is my model in SU2024 Pro

edit - new user so cannot upload more than one image, I assure you there are no faces where you can see them below!

Here is how it looks when importing into PP

Notice the additional ‘faces’ around the handle.

Here is what I have tried:

scaling up the model (original is c130mm long)
exporting as various 3D file types
completely remodelling

I first noticed this when importing out of SU2024 from files I created in SU Web and thought that may be the issue. However, the screen shot I have shown was created in SU2024.

Any help would be appreciated - thanks

Ball valve.skp (702.0 KB)

The first thing, orient the faces correctly, with the white facing outwards.

Then you can add some edges/diagonals and see if the model appears correctly rendered.

2 Likes

Firstly, thanks for the reply, seems you have made it work in your video, I will try adding these edges in. What do you mean by the above though? Sorry to ask

Thanks

Monochrome style

Basics of SketchUp at Campus - learn.sketchup.com

Thanks. Still getting to grips with making threads hence the issues being on both those parts!

Thank you @mihai.s - it seems that less is not more and adding additional lines in has fixed the issue! I try and keep everything as neat as possible but perhaps not the way.

I have similar issues with some circular objects too, not sure what the fix for that is as naturally less edges!

Thanks again

You’re welcome!

By adding those edges you create a better topology (quads).

Blender and other advanced 3D graphics programs render your original model well, but for other types of programs, such as Powerpoint, problems may appear. That’s why a better topology helps in their case.

2 Likes