Adding to model but not adding to Scene

Hi. Fist time poster. User since 2003! Still learning! So, have a model, lots of layers, lots of groups, use Outline a lot to organise. All Scenes are set, around 10. All good. As soon as I add ANYTHING, a line, a group, it will appear in ALL SCENES. How can I add stuff to my default Tag (Layer) and NOT have it muck up my lovely Scenes? I looked at Auto-Invisible Layer, but then I need to create that first. Any ideas? Thanks everyone! HAGD

I’m assuming you have ‘untagged’ on in all scenes, which is fine, and it is working as intended.

You need to create a new tag, then turn it off in all your scenes and update them. You can then draw, add things to your model, assign the new tag and it that work shouldn’t be visible in the scenes. Remember to group / component any loose geometry and then tag it.

This shouldn’t take long with only 10 scenes. I sometimes have to do this with 50-60 scenes, it can be tedious, but is relatively quick.

As you work through this project you might consider setting up a template for how you work - I have scenes and tags that help me work efficiently already saved into a default file. I specifically have a set of ‘X’ tags for things I need to reference but aren’t part of anything I need to present to the client - anything I don’t want to see but need to reference gets tagged appropriately. I created all these in a blank SketchUp file, then setup a few key scenes - some for work, some for presentation, then saved as a template. Now when I setup a new model I use this template and add scenes as needed using the already setup scenes as a start.

1 Like

thanks @bmike I did that, a WIP in layer, but also when I move around SU defaults to be drawing on the default layer, being ‘untagged’, can I change the default layer to my new one somehow? Otherwise I will zip around, draw, forget to change the active Tag, and have to go over it all again? Many thanks for your help

Hi Martin

I often have to add a group after setting up tons of scenes and as you say - the group appears in every scene whether you want it there or not. I remember years ago trawling through every scene multiple times, hiding the relevant group using outliner then updating the scene and feeling really stressed out.

Then I discovered a fabulous little plugin called ‘Eneroth Scene Visibility’ and everything was good. I use that little plugin on every singlet project now and it always works flawlessly.

I couldn’t recommend it enough.

Cheers :+1:

1 Like

hey @kevin58 I saw that in another forum. I will try that also. What you explained is exactly what I have been doing. I will revert with feedback, many thanks!!

well that works like a charm!!! THat’s so good. SU Forum does its thing again! Thanks everyone!

It’s dangerous to change the main drawing tag from ‘untagged’ to something else… so tread carefully. You can do it by moving the little pencil to the tag you want to draw in - be careful as this can seriously f’up your model if used improperly.

I don’t use the outliner to organize my model, I do it all with tags. So if you are hiding / hiding things (especially if they are nested into groups or components) you will have a bad time getting your scenes to work. Best is to use tags, and in your current project you’ll just have to manually adjust, or maybe try a plugin or two that has been suggested.

1 Like

I am drilling down to organise this huge building. So a combo now of tags and outliner. Now with these 2 plugins I can whizz around a bit quicker. If only my CAD guy had drawn accurately in the first place I wouldn’t be finding ‘little gaps’ in walls etc!!! arghhhhh #OCD

With VERY rare exceptions you should (almost) ALWAYS leave the default tag at Untagged (Layer0 in earlier versions).

Leave ALL edges and faces Untagged.

ONLY tag components and groups (or other entities like text or dimensions, for example, which aren’t geometry), to control their visibility in different scenes.

If you already have many edges and/or faces tagged with some other tag(s) there’s a plug-in which with automatically Untag them, or you can do it manually with a bit more effort.

Manually, open each component and group for editing in turn, Select All (shortcut Ctrl-A on Windows or Cmnd-A on Mac), and use Entity Info to change their tag to Untagged, or Layer0

1 Like

Instead of drilling into each object to fix incorrect tag usage as @john_mcclenahan suggested, use Default Layer Geometry by TIG which is available from Sketchucation. It’ll go through the entire model and untag all edges and faces in short order.

Auto Invisible Layer from the Extension Warehouse can be used when creating new tags for objects you don’t want to see in existing scenes.

2 Likes

Thanks, @DaveR. I was struggling to remember the name of TIG’s plug-in.

2 Likes

Yes John, if addressed to me I’m well aware of what goes wrong in a model when this isn’t followed, hence my disclaimer to the OP. But it’s good you spelled it out again.

This is one of the most important things I used to teach in my classes.

3 Likes