A quirk of the Extension Review process

I noticed the following about the Extension Review process and am sharing it to see if others have experienced the same and as information for anyone submitting an extension for review.

For a long time I only had access to a PC with the Windows operating system so I published my extension as being for Windows machines only. Then I got access to a Mac and tested some of my extensions on a Mac.

One of them worked just the way it was and required no change in the code. I went to this extension’s page in the Extension Warehouse and ticked the Mac box. I wrote a message for the extension’s Extension Warehouse webpage to say it was good for Macs. I published the extension and it was immediately accepted and its Extension Warehouse webpage was updated and everything looked good.

Soon after some people with Macs bought it and got straight back to me with problems. They were getting the oddest error messages and when I looked at them I realised the version of the extension was previous to my last publication, i.e. publish before I had ticked the good for Macs tick box in the extension’s publication form.

What seems to have happened is that the code, although it needed no change at my end, gets processed differently at the SketchUp end for Macs and this did not happen because I did not remove the .rbz and put it back (code fundamently unchanged but #commented in the code as being good for Macs). When I did this and the code got re-reviewed it worked fine on my customer’s Macs.

So, be aware, if you add an operating system after testing then change your .rbz on resubmission, even if your code is unchanged. But do read on…

In my experience there can be glitches when submitting an extension for review whereby you click the publish button and the page goes to the ‘your extension has been published and awaits review’ page but in fact SketchUp doesn’t seem to have recieved the new code because I don’t get an email from SketchUp. Not even from the robot. This can happen if for instance you get a rejection because the robot says that your .rbz contains .rbe code and you know it doesn’t, think the robot is having a bad day and republish the same .rbz. The SketchUp system will simply ignore new publication even though the process seems to have happened normally and you land on the ‘your extension has been published and awaits review’ page. You must make some sort of a change to the code, add a comment character or anything harmless. Make a new .rbz and then resubmit the new .rbz. Mad, I know, but it works. I have done it.

Good luck and happy coding!

The review process is quite odd and not very transparent. Changing only the description goes live immediately, with no review, meaning you should be able to mark it as Mac compatible directly. Submitting a new RBZ however puts it in the review queue.

I’ve always updated text and RBZ at the same time, but lately I think the new description goes live before the review finishes, meaning the description referring to the new version can be viewed together with the old.

Putting it in the review queue and directly after change the description once again (e.g. after finding a spelling error) seems to make the ■■■■ hit the fan, and has at least in the past lead to errors referring to RBE files in the RBZ. Now it seems the EW team has tried to fix this by hiding submissions awaiting review from the drafts and submissions list (which is much for finding just those extensions).

1 Like

The review process itself seems in need of review :wink:

2 Likes

To be honest, I would not invest too much time in investigating issues with Extension Warehouse. Just figure out a way/work-around that works. Everybody knows there are issues.

2 Likes

True, very true. We are in the process of improving this. So better times will come. Promise! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hello, I am experiencing problems too! Can someone of the extension warehouse team take a look at this? The extension is encrypted and named as prescribed, certified. But we cannot get pasted the automatic review process. With the following comment:
Dear Developer,

Your extension has failed our automated validation test. Please correct the following issue(s) and then resubmit your extension:

• .rbs and .rbe file extensions are not allowed in the .rbz package. Please remove those files and include only unencrypted .rb files (and of course all other files your extensions needs). Select the type(s) of encryption you would like and we will encrypt your files for you. All .rb files, except for the root .rb file, will be encrypted.

Thanks!

-Extension Warehouse Robot

But it is not!! Maybe it is best to completely erase the extension and start again from scratch?

Thanks in advance!
Els Wiering

Dear Sketchup teammembers,
I got the same message again (extension did not make it through the automatic reviewing process) after making a small change in the files, having it certified using the link I got from Sketchup and offering it again for review. Note: I am sure that there are no rbs files in the package! This is getting frustrating, because we asked a freelancer to develop the extension for us and he will be paid once the extension is accepted. So please, can someone take a look at this?
Thanks a lot,

Els WIering

Dear Developer,

Your extension has failed our automated validation test. Please correct the following issue(s) and then resubmit your extension:

• .rbs and .rbe file extensions are not allowed in the .rbz package. Please remove those files and include only unencrypted .rb files (and of course all other files your extensions needs). Select the type(s) of encryption you would like and we will encrypt your files for you. All .rb files, except for the root .rb file, will be encrypted.

Thanks!

-Extension Warehouse Robot

You shoudln’t try to certify/encrypt it before submitting it to EW. That is built in to the EW publishing process.

2 Likes

Well I got that instruction in a previous response of the review process when the review process failed. But Okay, I’ll try again, without this step.