5D+ Library - Manage SketchUp assets

Hello, this extension is currently in testing phase. I send you the link to download via pm.

Aha! That’s great! Is it in the download link already? I will install it after all… :smiley:

1 Like

If about the latest size of minimize the dialog, not yet.

1 Like

Thanks for your work and the opportunity to check. I would like to suggest something. It would be very useful to be able to create sketchup materials directly in the plugin using a texture. That is, we open a folder with textures, and the plugin automatically creates materials from these textures. I came across this feature in the Shink “SK Material Browser” plugin. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1O0mtfoEd8&ab_channel=3DStocker

1 Like

Love the way this is going. As said, we would love to add a file instead of a folder to the system but “saving out” the components actually works quite well.

What doesn’t work so well is the naming. As you can see in the screenshot we have a whole bunch of very similar components. So the first characters of the files name is always the same. As the component browser cuts the naming of after a few character you have no idea which component to pick.

Another interesting thing - the screenshots of the components in the active file browser and the saved-out components are rather different. I like the ones from the active file browser better - they show the item a lot better. Not sure if this solvable though as it has likely something to do with the component axis.

Ah - one last question - we are working as a team of ca. 10 people so I would love to sync the library and the settings across the team so we don’t need to do all of this for everybody. We sync with Resilio. Where do you save your settings, thumbnails, etc.?

Again - great work! And by a one man team!

1 Like

Hi,
I don’t know if they can solve the problem but let try out these:

Before saving out the components, let check multiple components and rename them. The extension has ability to bulk rename with a prefix + sequence numbers (001, 002, 003…).

When you are browsing in “Active models” collection, there will be an “Update thumbnails” button. You can use it to force SketchUp to update the thumbnails for components are displaying. After update, the thumbnails in active models will be matched with thumbnails of saved components,

You can use “Load” and “Save” to sync the settings between members in your team. But it only works if your library has the same path in every computers.

The setting file is actually saved as:
C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\5d_library_setttings.json

All the thumbnail are saved as:
C:\Users\username\Documents\5D+ Thumbnails

Thank you.

Hello, this feature is on my road map. In the first phase, I aim to a simple but powerful manager than a creator.

1 Like

Hi @Cyentruk → What I meant is this - it would be great if you wouldn’t cut off the component names in the viewer but rather wrap them so that the full name stays readable. There are very specific reasons of why we name the components the way we do and the differentiating bit is always in the end for sorting purposes…

The rest I will experiment with… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi, you can hover mouse on the item and the full name will show. But anyway, I’ll add a list view option into the next release.

2 Likes

I just had the craziest idea when reading your release note - particularly this point:

1. Ability to add and manage custom online sources both for Model and Material.

What would it take for us as a company to create such a online source and could it be private - like behind a username/password. Is it as simple as setting up an FTP server or a Private Dropbox-Folder? This would enable us to host our libraries for our users, keeping them up to date and protecting them as well. Like a private Warehouse.

2 Likes

Yes, pretty sure it will work if your site does not change the direction into another domain or need to open a new window for authority task. Because I used an iframe to embed a website via the URL.

As you can see, 3dsupro.com, a default URL from the extension works very well.

Hey man, this is the list view looks like

And when it is minimized

3 Likes

Love it!

1 Like

5D+ LIBRARY IS OFFICIAL RELEASED!

Please visit 5D+ Store at Lemon Squeezy to download for FREE!
5D+ SketchUp at lemonsqueezy.com

4 Likes

I like the list view a lot but would prefer to have it minimized as an icon view. Maybe this could be an option too?

Congrats on the release. But I seem to be missing something. How can I actually drag a component into the current model?

1 Like

You just click onto thumbnails, not drag.

You just need to minimize the dialog window by horizontal, it will become a mini toolbar with icons.
Like this:

1 Like

This official version not only included list view option but also add “Save as” to context menu for items in “Active models”. This helps you save multiple groups and components in the current file to local folder.

Perfect!

1 Like