3Dconnexion SpaceMouse not working in SU 2023

Hi,

Just upgraded to the latest version, only to find my SpaceMouse is no longer working (working great in v2022). I’ve tried restarting, reinstalling the driver (fresh copy from 3Dconnexion’s website), installing plugins from the 3Dconnexion preferences panel. There’s nothing on the 3Dconnexion forums about this problem.

Anyone found a work around for this?

I would email them…I just upgraded to '23 and my 3D mouse works just fine…

In the past I have had to close out SketchUp and restart a couple times just to get it to kick in…doesn’t happen very often but it DOES happen…

1 Like

Hewn,

Do you happen to be working on a Mac?

I do - and have the same issue. 3DConnexion wired SpaceMouse and and wireless SpaceMouse do not work with Sketchup 2023.

I’m using 3dxWare 10.7.4 (3493) and Firmware 4.36.

Dialogue box says ‘Software is up-to-date’.

Their installer for Mac is not yet aware of SU 2023 and won’t copy the extension files to the right place. I have posted on their site asking when they plan to fix it, but no reply so far.

You can get it working by manually copying the files from SU 2022.

They are found in

MacIntosh HD/Library/Application Support/SketchUp 2022/SketchUp/Plugins

You will need to copy them to

MacIntosh HD/Library/Application Support/SketchUp 2023/SketchUp/Plugins

If that folder doesn’t yet exist, you will need to create it.

Edit: added the MacIntosh HD root to the paths above because many users aren’t aware that is what /Library means.

3 Likes

Just another thought, have you restarted the computer?

Hi slbaumgartner,

Unfortunately there is no 3Dconnexion plugin in that folder, could it be somewhere else? I checked in all the previous versions of SU and no 3DC files in any of the folders.

Hi Jim,

That was the first thing I did.

I think we’re in the same boat, Apple Silicon M1.

In your screen shot I see the standard su_xxx extensions that SketchUp itself always installs. This proves you are looking at the wrong folder, because SketchUp does not install anything in the folder path I gave. It is in the MacIntosh HD/Library, not your personal ~/Library, which is what you showed.

I edited my earlier post to make it clearer.

Found it! And it worked to boot :tada:

5 Likes

Worked as described. Thank you.

1 Like

I could not find it either until I shown hidden folders and files. Then I was able to copy from 2022 to 2023.

1 Like

I’m trying to follow along to get 3D mouse to work in SUP23. On a Mac also. Oddly, I do not have a “Sketchup 2023” folder in app support. I have folders for SU versions from 2013 - 2022, but not 2023. I’ve quit and restarted both Sketchup and my computer 3x’s and still no folder.

Hmmm… any thoughts?

As I noted earlier, the folder for 2023 might not exist yet, in which case you will need to create it before doing the copy. So far as I know, SketchUp itself doesn’t create it automatically.

Few extensions use the main Library Application Support folder, so there is a good chance the only extra thing you added was Space Mouse support. You could use the Go to Folder… menu item on the Go menu, in Finder, and paste in this path:

/Library/Application Support

then duplicate the SketchUp 2022 folder, and rename it to be SketchUp 2023. You may be asked to enter your Mac password a couple of times.

1 Like

I just saw that in your post. Tried it, restarted SU and computer, nope, no Spacemouse working

Yes! Success this time around! Thanks Colin.

It may well be different on Mac, you may need to invoke the name of steve three times, but on windows the structure is simple but overly complex.
The 3d Connexion driver installs a folder and .rb file in a Sketchup plugins folder that may or may not have already been created. It will create it if it has to. It does this in Program Data rather than in the normal plugin folder in …Roaming…
Several other things will also use or create this folder, Twilight Render for one. I’m sure there is a good reason for it in the minds of those that designed it this way.

But, to put it simply, you can find the .rb and folder, cut it and paste into the normal plugin folder and it will work. This is a simple way to add it from 2022 to 2023.
This works because the ‘Driver’ for the Connexion is just a plugin. The driver install will add what it needs to work in various programs and for Sketchup it is just a single file and folder.

As I have said many times, I know nothing about Mac, but it would be interesting to see if the situation is similar in that file structure. If so it would simplify the process. If not… Oh well

If you don’t keep sketchup 2022, you just need to rename the library folder from Sketchup 2022 to Sketch 2023. Worked for me.

Those who have gotten this to work are you on older intel MBP or M1/M2. I am on M1 and still have not gotten this to work.

1. New driver from 3DConnection
  2. Copied MacIntosh HD/Library/Application Support/SketchUp 2022/SketchUp/Plugins to MacIntosh HD/Library/Application Support/SketchUp 2023/SketchUp/Plugins
  3. Multiple reboots.

I am on MacBook Pro 16 with M1 processor.