3D Warehouse Downloads for 2016 models

https://extensions.sketchup.com/en/content/eneroth-open-newer-version
:wink:

2 Likes

I sat down and wrote myself a ‘Blues Song!’ It starts “I woke-up this morning and Sketchup was gone!” I hadn’t planned on having to replace Hardware as well as Software. It looks as though my plans to migrate to another 3D Platform will have to be implemented sooner. Thanks Sketchup - That was ‘Awesome Sorcery!’

1 Like

This is one solution.

The others are e.g.:

2 Likes

Thanks for the advice Dezmo, but this will only put off the inevitable, for another few months, or so. I have loved Sketchup since the very early days. It is by no means perfect, yet has ‘Enabled’ people to explore an interest, and hopefully get involved (Note that I use the Past Tense).

Oh yes. I like Norton Commander from the old DOS times, why the hell they are not maintaining it anymore…? (Note that I use the Ironic Tense). :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I dare to speculate that the skp 2017 format could stay around a bit longer since there are no newer versions of SketchUp Make and Make is still recommended for makers (unless they make it unavailable already).

That is true for all softwares. Developers have a legitimate interest to use the newest development tools and users equally should have an interest in going with the latest software (unless it costs money, is not compatible with their system of they prefer older features/UI).

The difference is that classic offline software would still work in the same environment after the support end.

But software with integrated web services breaks if the web services are changed but the (old) software not. Again, it seems legitimate that SketchUp applies the same support period to 3D Warehouse (APIs etc.) as for the desktop client. But here, the APIs probably did not change, just the file format. If 3D Warehouse was a light bulb, people would think of planned obsolescence.

Even worse, Helle (above) uploaded his/her own files and cannot use them anymore (easily). True, 3D Warehouse is not Dropbox where what you put there can be retrieved without changes. But “hey, we have encoded your files in another file format”, how is this different from the method of crypto trojans?

Is it wise to alienate previous (Pro!) customers by breaking their workflow? Are they less valuable because they did not upgrade to SU2017 Pro (or newer)? How should that be an incentive to upgrade to 2019?

Other companies use file format (in)compatibility to defend their market share against competition, not against their own software. If Trimble management does not prioritize the file format question, they risk cannibalizing their own customer base.

1 Like

I believe that the damage has already been done!

To update this, we have enabled original upload binary, so if you uploaded a 2016 version, you’ll see a 2016 version there. As others have duly noted, there’s Eneroth’s extension as well. And Bob, I’m trying really hard not to post Dr. Ernie Prabhakar’s version of American Pie that he wrote for NeXT about some tech decision we made that he didn’t like. He later came to work for us and last I checked is still working for Apple 20+ years later. No one’s happy about every decision we make, we just do the best we can.

3 Likes