2D survey fence lines?

I’m trying to figure out the best way to draw a 2D survey fence line. A fence line basically has an X on the line every inch. I found 2D Tools with the line style option, but it only let’s you do dots and spaces.

I know it’s primarily a 3D tool, but it’s currently the only thing missing I need to digitize my latest survey.

Ideas?

I know I can change the legend and use 2D Tools to make the line dashes, but the problem is when I scale to print they are not visible.

I would also be fine with maybe just using the tape measure and draw lines because it scales it’s dashes as you zoom in/out, but I cannot draw my fence line because it will make the lines continue past my points when it gets on certain axes, so it draws more lines than I want.

I was able somewhat do what I wanted with an extension called construction lines. The only issue really is it turns them into guide lines, so when I do “delete guide lines” it also deletes my fence. I use the delete guide lines all the time, so I would always lose my fence lines.

You might try editing a string of 3D Text

Unfortunately SketchUp or LayOut doesn’t support complex linetypes. Only some CAD applications do.

A line like that could be done with a dynamic component. I*ll attach an example.that would perhaps need some refinement. Use the Scale tool to stretch the line, and you can set the tick size and segment length in the Component Options dialog.

Anssi

rastiviiva.skp (84.9 KB)

I did it with components like suggested. I drew a single line and then put one X on the end of it. I then used the move tool with shift to tell it to make a copy, I then moved it down the guide and copied it, then used the *40 on the keyboard and had it make 40 more copies, they all got placed along my guide line. I then deleted all the individual lien pieces in between the X’s and drew a single line through all of them, then made it a component.

Somewhat of a pain, but it worked.

I think I might have been tempted to make the X---- a component in itself, then place the component 40 times

this way if you edit the style of the X or whatever, all the instances change. It should also make for smaller files, because SU doesn’t have to save every edge of the fence, only a single component and then draw it 40 times

Did you look inside the file I posted? The dynamic component does the copying automatically when you stretch it at the end with the Scale tool, so it behaves (sort of) like a line.

Anssi

To simplify the array process, you could use the PathCopy extension that will array about a polyline. You can place the component by set spacing or you can place it by path vertices.

The Weld extension will help you create the polyline.