2020.1 Clipping Issues

Specifically for parallel projection, this plugin can be used.

https://extensions.sketchup.com/extension/04bba8a8-4d06-4d5c-9995-bfe047595f69/eneroth-unclip-parallel

1 Like

I guess my 20+ years working in parallel projection (originally in microstation. I’ve been using sketchup since 2015 I believe) makes it challenging to work in perspective. To me, things look overly skewed and distorted. Perhaps one day I will force myself to switch until I get used to it. You do make a valid point on depth perception, it can get challenging with parallel projection

Thank you for the link. It appears the extension warehouse is not working at this time. I will try again later

I also only work in Parallel Projection. I know we’re in the minority. Just so used to parallel from other platforms. (Solidworks/Inventor)

I can’t stand the zooming in Perspective vs. Parallel. Parallel zooming just feels so much more natural to me. Perspective I always end up zooming to the side of where I expect it to go, and the sensitivity of it seems to zoom in too much.

This extension works. Thank you so much!

I’m with ya JoelV. Just not a fan of Perspective but we are in the minority. I have installed the plugin eneroth3 suggested and can confirm it works perfectly. If you are having any issues with 2020.1, I recommend checking it out.

If you want to try perspective and get the benefit of depth, you can change the field of view by pressing Z, enter a value in degrees and press enter. When I started using SketchUp I think the default FoV was 30 degrees but later changed to 35. To me this was a quite large change so I can see why going from essentially 0 degrees to 30 is huge and feels distorted.

Since I never really use perspective, I never paid attention to the FOV feature. Adjusting this to a smaller number is great. I can set it to 15 and it’s not bad at all. Do you know if this setting is saved gloabally or if this is saved per .skp file?

It’s saved just as the camera placement or direction, i.e. an active view in each model and optional saved scenes.

I ask with tears in my baby blue eyes, how in heavens name does this happen in a super organised listed company? So are we paying to go backwards now?