2017 not launching

check with the support tool of the notebook maker or on their support webpages if there is a customized graphics card driver dedicated to you notebook model.

Hi, were you able to get SketchUp to run? I have similar error message when I try to run Sketchup. I have the exact same config as yours. My Old ThinkPad runs SU 2017 without any trouble, and that didn’t have any discrete graphics.

It was working for me, but it was way too slow. Just wondering if you were able to fix it.

Some of these memory read issues with SketchUp and Checkup were fixed in 2017 M2, see Release Notes:

Get latest installer at:

Thanks Dan. I still see that my sketchup is running very slow, and SU2017 checker still lists the same issue as not enough memory. I have a proprietary plugin at my work place which runs very slow, and that’s what has forced me to look at these issues in detail. Anyway, I’ve asked those guys who create the plugin to look into it. I will keep you guys posted.

For what ? System RAM or Graphics memory ?

See this topic for help on comparing Checkup’s results with system tool results:

Hi Dan, I get that error message for Graphics memory. I checked with above mentioned method, and I could see both Intel 530 and NVidia 960M listed there as display and render only respectively.

Make sure that SketchUp is set to use the Nvidia card in the Nvidia Control panel.

Re, the in house plugin, it should be using an operation with the disable UI flag set true.

Yes Dan, I have kept Nvidia as default for Sketchup, and I could see that
in Preferences window in Open GL.

I will have the person who wrote this ruby plugin take a look at what you
have mentioned here. Thanks a lot for your time.

For anyone with the problem where they run SketchUp 2017 Checkup and they receive a message saying their graphics card has a 1mb of graphic memory and SketchUp requires 256mb, try going into SketchUp-Window-Preferences- and uncheck “use fast feedback”. It seems to work for me. I still get the above message in Checkup, but the programme isn’t running awful anymore! Also when I check “use fast feedback” again, the issue of Sketchup Make 2017 running slowly returns. I use a 16gb GeForce GTX 980m graphics card on my laptop.

Hope this helps anyone.

The two things are “apples and oranges”,… (ie, they are unrelated.) The Checkup error is actually a Microsoft “msinfo32.exe” error, which Microsoft acknowledges but apparently has no care to fix.

The proof is that after doing what you suggest Checkup still sees the same error (because Microsoft has not “magically” updated the “msinfo32.exe” file.) It’s internal bug still exists, and Checkup sees the same erroneous information regarding the graphics RAM.

This indicates you may have a bad video driver. When was the last time you updated the driver ?
There was a new driver released just two weeks ago:

And also verify that SketchUp is using the Nvidia GPU and not the Intel integrated GPU.
Window > Preferences > OpenGL > Details…
Verify the “Renderer” is the Nvidia driver.

To be honest, I have no idea what they mean. I’m new to SketchUp and can’t even use it yet.

24th Feb is when I last updated my graphics driver, so doubt it was a bad video driver and I only installed SketchUp yesterday (like I’ve mentioned above, I haven’t learned the programme yet). SketchUp is using the Nvidia GPU and not Intel integrated GPU.

Whatever the reason, I don’t have the problem anymore…unless, that is, when I check “use fast feedback” option and the issue of SketchUp running slowly and lagging comes back.

@AnthonyDevine

Have you tried different anti-aliasing settings (Window > Preferences > OpenGL)?

With the latest NVIDIA driver (378.66, 02-14-2017) I can’t detect any performance difference in SU 2017 with FF turn on/off (using 0x, 2x, 4x, and 8x MSAA) on a Win 10 system with an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950M graphics card.

In these forums there were a bunch of posts a week or two back from users that got an (automatic?) driver update and had to roll back their driver to keep SketchUp working with Windows 10. I wonder if anyone has the actual driver version number to post here as a warning…

Anssi

One customer who reported similar problems was using version 376.54 of the NVIDIA driver. That version doesn’t show up on the download page for their particular graphics card, so I suspect it may have been a version pushed out via Windows update.

Thanks so much! For that great idea on improving the speed of running SketchUp. It works on version 2016 and 2017. My system was really dogging down. I have plenty of memory and a good graphics card, plenty of disk, etc. Specifically I am using: Windows 10 Home, Version 1607, Intel core processor CPU 2.5 GHz, RAM 6.0 GB

Thanks again Anthony!!

Greetings.

New SketchUp user here. Actually, I don’t even consider myself a “user” seeing as so far I’ve only looked at other people’s projects. Anyway, what brings me here is something rather strange:

I have two computers:

• My “work” desktop computer where I installed SketchUp Viewer 2017 to check out a model file that was sent to me. All works as intended.

• This other PC with exactly the same specs as the first one (Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel HD Graphics 4000, Core i7-3770) where I can’t get the program to load. Also worth mentioning is the fact that, in this second computer, I have a few other CAD applications installed (AutoCAD, Solid Edge Viewer ST8 and DWG TrueView). I’ve read this and noticed that Intel HD Graphics 4000 is on the list of potentially problematic graphics cards. However, there is no problem with it on my other machine so I think that might not be the source of the problem.

Could it be that these other programs are somehow conflicting with SketchUp and preventing it from loading correctly?

Thanks in advance.

what does this exactly mean?

i.e. elaborate whats happening (nothing, crash, error message) and which driver version is installed.

It means that the application doesn’t load visually, nor is any process started in the task manager.

Here are the details about the graphics driver.