162 Surfaces Created From A Cone

This is something I created about six years ago to demonstrate the effects of combining various mathematical functions simultaneously applied to extruding and scaling a circle. Up until now, I had never rendered it:

On the “right”: 81 surfaces created by shrinking a 20" diameter circle to 2" while rising 10" in Z - Scaling and translation interpolation each varies using linear, sine, arc1, arc2, arc3, arc4, log10, parabolic, and cubic functions (81 combinations in all) - On the “left”: 81 surfaces created by expanding a 2" diameter circle to 20" while falling 10" in Z - Scaling and translation interpolation each varies using linear, sine, arc1, arc2, arc3, arc4, log10, parabolic, and cubic functions (81 combinations in all) - Note that the diagonal of each matrix is composed of cones, although the layout of the polygons will vary (i.e., same-kind interpolations always produce a cone) - Some of the surfaces generated are identical while many others look the same but vary slightly in the polygon layout - Interestingly enough, on the “left”, you will find a nice parabolic reflector with a 2" diameter hole, but no such item exists on the “right” side, thus the surfaces produced are not symmetrical with regard to scaling direction and translation.

1 Like