10mm insert for rod

I am designing a simple boom mount for my microphone and need help making a threaded insert for a threaded rod.

What version of SketchUp are you actually using? There is no 2020 Make as indicated in your profile.

Although this shows making external threads, the same idea applies to making internal threads.

Are you planning to print the threads or are you using a metal insert? Small 3D printed threads usually are viable and if you are going to use a metal threaded insert, there’s no need to model more than a slightly undersized hole. The metal insert can be installed using a soldering iron to heat it and push it in.

I’m using a trial version of 2020, but I’ve used sketchup in the past versions. I am planning on printing the insert with a 3d printer. Basically the threaded rod is 10mm, I need to make an adapter for it to convert it into a 5/8inch so it will screw into my Blue Snowball Microphone

OK.

Here’s another thing I did showing how to create internal threads.

I got a bit of a better understanding, but I’ve looked at so many videos of how to make threaded rods but they never say how to make them specific

For something like that I would approach it differently. I would use epoxy filled with fumed silica instead of 3D printing. I would coat the internal threads with wax or thin oil and then fill it with the epoxy thickened to peanut butter consistency. If you want internal threads to accept the 10mm stud, wax or oil it and stick it in the middle. If you actually need a stud to screw into something else, don’t lube the 10mm stud. The epoxy threads will be more accurate than the 3D printed ones and the epoxy will be tougher than the 3D print material.

Even better would be to take a bolt that would screw into the microphone, drill and tap it for the 10mm internal threads and cut it to length.

Right but I would still need to convert it into a 5/8inch, so it would screw into the microphone

That’s why I do them the way I showed. I end up with accurately modeled threads.

Convert what?

What is the thread pitch on the socket on the mic?

I was going to make a block where the 10mm threaded rod would screw into one end, and then on the other end would be a 5/8 thread, which would go into the end of my microphone

Thread pitch was not given. All I know is that its 5/8 inch. Someone on a forum said 27 threads per inch

You’d need to know that if you were planning to print those threads. For 5/8 in. dia. there’s 11, 12, 14, 16, 18, 20, 24, 27, 28, and 32 tpi. My epoxy suggestion would not require that you know the pitch.

just counted it was 27 exactly. I would def go for the epoxy suggestion if I had it. But I’d rather also learn how to make threaded inserts as well

27 threads? Is it exactly an inch long?

Go through those threads I liked to. You’ll just need to look up the specs for the threads you need. Google will be your friend on that one.

I was looking at the specs for 5/8-27 threads. They are pretty shallow. I’d be very surprised if you could print usable threads no matter how well you model them.

I can’t find ANY common US, UK or Metric 5/8" diam thread with that many (27) TPI.
See Metric, Metric Fine, BSW, BSF, UNC, UNF and BA Thread Dimensions

Where did you find them, @DaveR? What kind of thread?

… Google just found me this, which is a little bit helpful.

John, do a search for 5/8-27 thread. It seems this is a standard size for microphone stands.

1 Like

Thanks, Steve. Just did that as you typed and found a link. Edited my previous post to include it.

I wonder why such a ‘non-standard’ but commonly used thread?

I looked at theoreticalmachinist.com which is one of several machinist-oriented sites I have bookmarked for useful information.

1 Like